277 Volt Breaker Panels as Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

hivoltage

How do we handle buildings that were built with the 277 volt lighting using the breakers in panels to turn the lighting on and off? No switches. 70E says that you must have PPE to turn the lights on and off unless I am missing something.

For ever the security guards and janitors have turned the lights on and off, not allowed any more?

What do I need to do?

hivoltage

Oops, could the moderators please put this in the proper forum, I thought it said Lighting......not lightening!!! Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't have 70E in front of me, but are you sure that it says that PPE is required when the panel trim is on? Don't people turn on and off 277 volt light switches all of the time?

hivoltage

I am currently having all panels and breakers replaced to switch rated breakers, but if you read 70E, looks like the average Joe coming in in the morning cant turn the lights on without at least a long sleeve shirt.

zog

hivoltage said:
I am currently having all panels and breakers replaced to switch rated breakers, but if you read 70E, looks like the average Joe coming in in the morning cant turn the lights on without at least a long sleeve shirt.

100% natural fiber LS shirt, and he needs to be trained.

hivoltage

Nobody else but us is using breakers to turn lights on and off in their plant or warehouse? Come on.....I would like to know what everybody else does and what OSHA inspectors think about it.

We (I) decided to replace our old 30 year old lighting panels when 1 breaker blew up while a guy was turning on lights. It blew a 1 inch hole through the front of the panel and the employee got moderately burned on one hand. These were old GE panels.

iwire

Staff member
hivoltage said:
Come on.....I would like to know what everybody else does

Well I was unaware of this issue till you brought it up.

What am I going to do?

I am going to use it as a sales tool to push contactors and other lighting controls. :cool:

electricalperson

hivoltage said:
Nobody else but us is using breakers to turn lights on and off in their plant or warehouse? Come on.....I would like to know what everybody else does and what OSHA inspectors think about it.

We (I) decided to replace our old 30 year old lighting panels when 1 breaker blew up while a guy was turning on lights. It blew a 1 inch hole through the front of the panel and the employee got moderately burned on one hand. These were old GE panels.
thats the reason idont like people using breakers as switches. would it be cheaper to use iwires idea and use a lighting contactor and just use a single pole switch? might be a little safer

not excatly off topic but just about right on the bat here unless i goof this up but did someone did show a 277v ganged toggle switch on this forum before i try to recall IMO i know it was there but just cant remember where it is now.

IMO i like Iwire's idea just put in simple toggle switch tied to the contractor to that panel.

Merci, Marc

ron

Is there that much of a savings to install the 277V circuit out of the panelboard to the fixtures without a wall switch in series?
Why would a contactor and not just a 20A 277V wall switch be needed unless these are larger than 20A?

dlhoule

ron said:
Is there that much of a savings to install the 277V circuit out of the panelboard to the fixtures without a wall switch in series?
Why would a contactor and not just a 20A 277V wall switch be needed unless these are larger than 20A?

One reason to use a contactor is that you can use one switch for several circuits.:smile:

billsnuff

hivoltage

130.7(C)(9)(a) panelboard/switchboard 240v to 600v

CB or fused sw. operation with covers on....hazard = 0

V gloves = N V tools = N also see notes 1 & 3.

70E 2004

cowboyjwc

Staff member
hivoltage said:

Had this same thing is several buildings that I took care of and never had a problem.

The only reason we changed them out to contactors and switches with time clocks, was energy savings.

The lights would get turned on at 6:00 A.M. and may not get turned off until 2:00 A.M. because of the shift work and though the late shift only worked the assembly line the lights in the warehouse portion were also on because of the way they were wired.

iwire

Staff member
ron said:

Ron in many non-dwelling occupancies all the lighting is controlled via breakers

It may just be one or two breakers but in many cases it is the majority of the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.