277 Volt lighting and the new energy code

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelectricalman

Ok, have a breaker panel in the main area of a building where you can see the panel while working on all the lighting. The inspector says I have to have a switch on my lighting circuit for the occupancy sensors per the energy code. He said as far as he is concerned the switch can be above the panel ( out of the gen publics way)? Where might I find this energy code which I know exist and secondly, what good is the switch gonna do that the breaker will not. He stated that I could use an alternate route and use a permanent breaker lock but they do not exist for this type of breaker.

It just seems that a switch is counteracting the purpose of the occ sensor! I understand his arguement that there needs to be a switch, but there is no requirement that the switch be lockout type. So, in that regards why have it when you have a breaker right below it? Any thoughts.

cpal

Did you ask why a breaker with a lock would be ok? I think the bld .code requires a control for ltg per sq ft of floor area. (thought it was 1400 or so) Don't have that code at home.

The breaker lock sounds a lot like a req in 410. 130(G). Don't think thats energy code but would be interested to hear other opnions.

ptrip

Ok, have a breaker panel in the main area of a building where you can see the panel while working on all the lighting. The inspector says I have to have a switch on my lighting circuit for the occupancy sensors per the energy code. He said as far as he is concerned the switch can be above the panel ( out of the gen publics way)? Where might I find this energy code which I know exist and secondly, what good is the switch gonna do that the breaker will not. He stated that I could use an alternate route and use a permanent breaker lock but they do not exist for this type of breaker.

It just seems that a switch is counteracting the purpose of the occ sensor! I understand his arguement that there needs to be a switch, but there is no requirement that the switch be lockout type. So, in that regards why have it when you have a breaker right below it? Any thoughts.

I'm confused here. The energy code requires automated controls (time clock and/or occ sensors) not switches.

I also don't understand the function of the switch. The only time I will design a switch into a circuit with an occ sensor is for occupant override (so they can turn the lights off if they desire).

Is the breaker lock for a LOTO procedure or something?

wireguru

was the switch a disconnect or a bypass of the occupancy sensor? Did he want the switch as a bypass so the occupancy sensor doesnt turn the lights out on you while you are working in the panel?

DetroitEE

I'm confused here. The energy code requires automated controls (time clock and/or occ sensors) not switches.

I also don't understand the function of the switch. The only time I will design a switch into a circuit with an occ sensor is for occupant override (so they can turn the lights off if they desire).

Is the breaker lock for a LOTO procedure or something?

I agree with ptrip. ASHRAE 90.1 9.4.1.1 and 9.4.1.2 clearly states that an occupancy sensor counts as a control device, and therefore, a switch is not required if a space has an occupancy sensor.

In the NYS Energy Conservation Contruction Code, if the building is 5000sf or more, and the room has two entrances or is 250sf, a control has to be installed for the lighting. This control is not permitted to be the only means of controlling the lights, a manual means also has to be provided, such as a switch.

Why the inspector is asking for a means of locking, is beyond me.

aelectricalman

I agree with ptrip. ASHRAE 90.1 9.4.1.1 and 9.4.1.2 clearly states that an occupancy sensor counts as a control device, and therefore, a switch is not required if a space has an occupancy sensor.

Is ASHRAE the new energy code body? I agree that the switch makes no sense and my thoughts are the O.C. should be considered a control device. So, what about working on the lighting? Is a disconnecting means required by means of permanent breaker lock? If never seen that before. This guy just doesnt know or Im eating Crow!

aelectricalman

In the NYS Energy Conservation Contruction Code, if the building is 5000sf or more, and the room has two entrances or is 250sf, a control has to be installed for the lighting. This control is not permitted to be the only means of controlling the lights, a manual means also has to be provided, such as a switch.

Why the inspector is asking for a means of locking, is beyond me.

Thanks Pierre,

So what if the building is not 5000square ft. Anything change?

Mike01

could be

could be

was the switch a disconnect or a bypass of the occupancy sensor? Did he want the switch as a bypass so the occupancy sensor doesnt turn the lights out on you while you are working in the panel?

reading through this thread brought back a incident in where the inspector wanted a local disconnect at the occ sensor. now i think some even have the option built in.

Mr. Bill

9.2.1.2 Space Control. Each space enclosed by ceiling-height partitions shall have at least one control device to independently control the general lighting within the space. Each control devices shall be activated either manually by an occupant or automatically by sensing an occupant. Each control device shall
(a) control a maximum of 2500 ft^2 area fro a space 10,000 ft^2 or less and a maximum of 10,000 ft^2 area for a space greater than 10,000 ft^2,
(b) be capable of overriding the shutoff control required in 9.2.1.1 for no more than four hours, and
(c) be readily accessible and located so the occupant can see the controlled lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.