277v, Assisted Living Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

Good afternoon,

We are working on a assisted living facility. We are using PTAC units in the living units which come standard with a nema 6-15/20 receptacle. We have the option of running the PTAC units at 277 (or) running them at 208.

• If we use 208 then ALL the load will have to be carried by the transformers increasing the size of them significantly throughout the whole building and we also only be feeding one per circuit breaker.
  • If we use 277 then we can eliminate or decrease the size of the transformers and feed multiple units with a single breaker so this would be the IDEAL way to go.

I am just worried about having 277v inside of dwelling type unit where people may or may not be mentally correct. Is there some type of locking mechanism that can go over the receptacle or should I just go with the 208?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Good afternoon,

We are working on a assisted living facility. We are using PTAC units in the living units which come standard with a nema 6-15/20 receptacle. We have the option of running the PTAC units at 277 (or) running them at 208.

• If we use 208 then ALL the load will have to be carried by the transformers increasing the size of them significantly throughout the whole building and we also only be feeding one per circuit breaker.
  • If we use 277 then we can eliminate or decrease the size of the transformers and feed multiple units with a single breaker so this would be the IDEAL way to go.

I am just worried about having 277v inside of dwelling type unit where people may or may not be mentally correct. Is there some type of locking mechanism that can go over the receptacle or should I just go with the 208?

The NEMA 6-15 or 6-20 is OK for a 208 or 240 volt unit. But you can't use cord and plug if you want to use 277 volt units. If the units are to be used at 277 volt they must be connected with a Chapter 3 wiring method. See 440.60.

Npstewart

The NEMA 6-15 or 6-20 is OK for a 208 or 240 volt unit. But you can't use cord and plug if you want to use 277 volt units. If the units are to be used at 277 volt they must be connected with a Chapter 3 wiring method. See 440.60.

How nice that there is a EXACT specific code section that answers my questions. Thanks!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
They make 277 volt straight blade and twist lock plugs. I have seen it done with mobile equipment like restaurant equipment.

http://waterheatertimer.org/images/How-to-wire-outlets-5-750.jpg

However, being a dwelling If I'm correct it isn't allowed, but could be wrong on that.
The referenced section, 440.60, applies only to single room A/Cs, not to whole house or whole dwelling A/Cs. And not to any other cord connected equipment.
You have to look elsewhere for a definitive answer on cord connecting a central A/C for one tenant's unit.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The referenced section, 440.60, applies only to single room A/Cs, not to whole house or whole dwelling A/Cs. And not to any other cord connected equipment.
You have to look elsewhere for a definitive answer on cord connecting a central A/C for one tenant's unit.

Ok got. :) My take is its allowed but hardwiring is a requirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.