277v lighting marking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working in a large box store rewiring 2x4 fluorescent lighting in a drop ceiling which was all run in mc cable I came across a question. All this lighting was 277 volts but the mc cable used only had low voltage colors (blk, red, white, green). I searched the entire ceiling to see if the mc had marking tape anywhere to identify this lighting as 277 but could find none marked. I know in the past I have used the proper mc to identify the voltage or I had marked every single cable at every light with the proper color (brown, orange, yellow). Can somebody out here give me their thoughts and the code section identifying this? I looked and could not find it in the book. This is potentially a extremely dangerous situaton I came across, is it legal or not what they did?

USMC1302

Agreed, common occurrence. No color code required unless a job spec. Have seen a couple fried exit lights from not thinking/checking.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Under the 2005 code, where you have more than one voltage system in the building, you are required to identify the branch circuit conductors by system. Under the 2008 code you are required to identify the branch circuit conductors by phase and system. In the 2002 code identification was required by phase and system, but only for multiwire branch circuits.

In all cases the method of identification is up to the installer, but a sign or label must be posted at all panels telling you what method was used to identify the conductors.

nakulak

I've used the "wrong" color cable, and reidentified per code at splices and terminations, but I think best practice is to use the correct colors if you have more than one system. There is a jurisdiction 5 min from me that requires the correct colors - don't know if its a local amendment but you won't put the standard low voltage color mc in as high voltage and get it passed.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
MC is available in what most folks use as 480v colors, so a little pre-planning and the job could have been wired that way.
There are some jurisdictions locally that won't accept orange as a 480 v color (reserved only for hi-leg) and I noticed Southwire even has a Brown-Yellow-Purple-Grey cable.
With phase and system tagging now required in '08, I am beginning to see the color coded MC on some jobs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.