277V Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Once that I can think of (it was fused and fed through a small transformer, of course).

If you're talking about feeding a standard 5-15R or 5-20R directly from a 277 volt panel, I haven't ever seen that. I hope nobody else has seen this either, although I'm sure somebody around here has.

Out of curiosity, why do you ask? Have you seen an installation like this recently?

Or am I totally misinterpreting, and you're talking about duplex receptacles rated for 277 volts? :blink:

iwire

Staff member
I have seen it once and know about another time.

The first time the building was still under construction. We shut down a 480/277 panelboard to work on it, we had checked the main lugs they where dead.

The other guy starts working in the panel and gets a shock. :huh: He had hit the bare copper at the line side of a branch breaker that had never been turned on. We found 120 volt on the line side of that breaker. We ended up tracing it back to a lighting feed being accidentally cut into a receptacle circuit. (In this case the receptacles where never live with 277, just connected and waiting for the breaker to be flipped on.)

The other time, a coworker had to add a 120 volt receptacle at the end of the day. He rushed, he did it hot, he never tested it. Well the carpenters that plugged their sawzal into it got a surprise. They blew up one and then another.

We ended up replacing one sawzal and having the other repaired for them.

mstrlucky74

Once that I can think of (it was fused and fed through a small transformer, of course).

If you're talking about feeding a standard 5-15R or 5-20R directly from a 277 volt panel, I haven't ever seen that. I hope nobody else has seen this either, although I'm sure somebody around here has.

Out of curiosity, why do you ask? Have you seen an installation like this recently?

Or am I totally misinterpreting, and you're talking about duplex receptacles rated for 277 volts? :blink:

In my database I see there are only 120v receptacle. I was just curious.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Look at some of the configurations on this NEMA chart:

McGowan-NEMA-Chart_Page_2.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Straight blade chart.. not sure about a 277v duplex... don't find one in any of my catalogs

I think most of us have seen various voltages on standard 125v duplex receptacles over the years where some "electrician" rigged something for a temporary connection (250v 277v etc) and failed to disconnect the receptacle after use. Why ? "It was the only one I had on the truck"

I have seen them where the culprit took the time to write "240v" on the cover

NEMAStraightChart1.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.