2P GFCI tripping with nothing on it

DannyBoiii

Occupation
Master Electrician
I recently installed a Eaton BR 2P30 GFCI circuit breaker in my clients sub panel for a duel fuel range that was being installed. The circuit breaker began tripping for no apparent reason overnight when the stove was never being used.

Had the customer unplug the range before bed to confirm and sure enough the circuit tripped again overnight. (this is a direct 30a line with nothing else on the circuit)

After this happened I figured it was a problem with the wiring and by now I would have just run a new wire if there wasnt going to be so much drywall work involved.

Went back to troubleshoot and couldn't re create the problem so out of curiosity I put in another Eaton BR 2P30 GFCI with no wires going to it (just the pigtail going to neutral bar).

Sure enough that circuit breaker tripped last night too (not at the same time as the range circuit breaker but before)

Reaching out to see if anyone has had this problem before and how they solved it. I've always been good at troubleshooting but this is a first for me.

• Grounds and neutrals separated in sub panel
  • Already replaced with another circuit breaker and it did the same thing
  • These circuit breakers also have trip codes and it is showing 4 white blinks (meaning it is a ground fault above 30mA)

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Unless I witnessed the trip, I would be suspect of someone hitting the test button.
The one with no wires attached, there would be nothing for the CT in the GFCI to measure against.

If this wasn't being inspected, the GFCI would disappear! I see no reason for a GFCI on a stove to start with!

DannyBoiii

Occupation
Master Electrician
Unless I witnessed the trip, I would be suspect of someone hitting the test button.
The one with no wires attached, there would be nothing for the CT in the GFCI to measure against.

If this wasn't being inspected, the GFCI would disappear! I see no reason for a GFCI on a stove to start with!
I was wondering the same but these breakers have a blink code that tells you why it was tripped so if you hit the test button and reset afterwards it will flash all the colors as a test mode.
When these are reset it is showing 4 white blinks (ground fault above 30mA)

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I was wondering the same but these breakers have a blink code that tells you why it was tripped so if you hit the test button and reset afterwards it will flash all the colors as a test mode.
When these are reset it is showing 4 white blinks (ground fault above 30mA)
Take one of these and put it in your panel at your house and see if it trips with no load. If it does, take them back to where you got them.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I recall some low voltage track lights tripping GFCI kitchen counter receptacles. We eventually fixed that by keeping them on different phase than the lights. Any LV lights there?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
With no load wires connected, the only pathway in is the line terminals.

Are there any signs of service neutral problems?

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
I tried to deal with this on industrial heat trace circuits, but it was intermittent, not every day. At one site, a circuit with a short run to the heat trace would trip, but the longer one would not. We got to suspecting that voltage spikes were causing the trip. That the longer run might be dampening the spike. sent then a quote for putting in a surge protector in the breaker panel, but never heard back. Probably just fell through the cracks. Of course heat trace trips aren't a problem right now My work truck said 106F yesterday at a gravel gas well pad. Running 2" conduit pretty much by myself...

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have read a few other comments online about people having issues with these "new" electronic GFCI breakers tripping randomly with no load connected. Seems like Eaton needs to go back to the drawing board.

DannyBoiii

Occupation
Master Electrician
I recall some low voltage track lights tripping GFCI kitchen counter receptacles. We eventually fixed that by keeping them on different phase than the lights. Any LV lights there?
There are some low voltage landscape lights and also under cabinet lighting that is low voltage, the only problem with moving it to a different phase is that the breaker thats tripping is a 2P so will be on the A&B phase no matter where it is

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
There are some low voltage landscape lights and also under cabinet lighting that is low voltage, the only problem with moving it to a different phase is that the breaker thats tripping is a 2P so will be on the A&B phase no matter where it is
But the electronics are probably connected to only one phase, so moving the breaker could make a difference.