(3) 4/0 15kv with (1) 4/0 600v neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Is that possible? Can you have a 600v neutral run within same conduit to same equipment? How can you have a 600v cable going to 15kv gear?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Why would you think that is an issue? That conductor operates very close to ground potential. Remember it is bonded to all of the metal parts of the electrical system via the system bonding jumper.

beanland

Bare Ground or Neutral?

Bare Ground or Neutral?

Is this a neutral or ground? We run bare or insulated grounds. 15kV cable usually has tape shield or concentric neutral built into the cable. I doubt that the 600V wire is a neutral as much as a ground.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is this a neutral or ground? We run bare or insulated grounds. 15kV cable usually has tape shield or concentric neutral built into the cable. I doubt that the 600V wire is a neutral as much as a ground.
A solidly grounded system has a grounded conductor which is commonly called a neutral. I don't think line to neutral loads are very common on a customer owned medium voltage system there would often be no grounded conductor run to the loads.
The tape shield in neither a grounded or grounding conductor. The concentric neutral may be either depending on the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.