3/4 emt to mc connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
garrisonm1 said:
Does anyone know of a 3/4 emt to mc or nm changeover. I know they make a 1/2 inch emt to nm changeover. Can't seem to find the other though.
3/4 emt connector to a 3/4 ridgid coupling to 3/4 mc connector.

Or what Bob said

Edit: Slow draw

garrisonm1

Thats what I did at first but the electrical inspector told me that thats not an approved fitting to do that. I think he's way out of line but not much I can do about it.

garrisonm1

Basically, I have 3/4 emt stubbed out of block walls and I want to run my 12-2 mc in and out of it. What I did was us a 3/4 connector with a rigid coupling, then an re with a duplex connector.

iwire

Staff member
garrisonm1 said:
Thats what I did at first but the electrical inspector told me that thats not an approved fitting to do that. I think he's way out of line but not much I can do about it.

Well......I disagree with that it is a violation but it seems you will have to use a box even if you just pass the conductors right through.

iwire

Staff member
garrisonm1 said:
Basically, I have 3/4 emt stubbed out of block walls and I want to run my 12-2 mc in and out of it. What I did was us a 3/4 connector with a rigid coupling, then an re with a duplex connector.

I have successfully done that as well, nice clean and safe installation.

chris kennedy

Occupation
garrisonm1 said:
A very wise man once said:

"The connectors are connecting and the couplings are coupling"

Whats the problem?

And if you do find a change over is it rated for 3/4 FMC or MC?

garrisonm1

I just hate to have to set over a hundred boxes, when all I really have to do is do a changeover. Now I must drill a support and mount a box. I guess it is what it is.

mdshunk

Bridgeport makes perhaps the widest selection of "combination couplings" from what I can tell. I was looking for a 1-1/4" EMT to IMC combination coupling the other day for a batch of new RTU's, and couldn't find anyone making one.

chris kennedy

Occupation
Use a SG 38 connector on your MC. Thats listed. Use a 3/4 ridgid coupling with a 3/4 to 1/2 reducing bushing. Also listed. Then a 3/4 EMT connector.

Again, whats the listing problem here?

iwire

Staff member
garrisonm1 said:
I just hate to have to set over a hundred boxes, when all I really have to do is do a changeover. Now I must drill a support and mount a box. I guess it is what it is.

Don't give up yet, maybe someone knows where a 3/4" can be found.

I understand your issue, major time difference.

mdshunk

220/221 said:
Do you have to support a "t" condulet per NEC?
I really don't think anyone will make a combination coupling for EMT to MC, because you don't pull conductors in MC, and the raceway has to be completely assembled before installation of conductors. A 'C' body might be the way to fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.