3 ceiling fans on 2 speed control

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkamp77

I have a customer that has 6 ceiling fans on 2 speed controls.The controls are Leviton and they are rated 1.5A each. Is it possible for the speed control to make the fans go bad. The fans are running really slow and one is running backwards every other time I turn it on. Has anyone had this problem before?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think you will find that the fans are not going to run well with that control. I would not even have 2 fans per control unless you use a higher amp variable speed control. The problem with that is the variable fan controls will make the fans hums.

IMO, use a sp switch and keep the fans on low or medium speed thru the pull chain. There are variable controls that are rated 5 amps but look at the hp rating also.

One fan one speed control otherwise it is trouble.

svh19044

Solution: Install wireless control. Just change the DIP switches.

This doesn't necessarily work either, as the fans get out of sync and miss-communicate. Sometimes one will be on, the other off, and you have to reset the circuit. It's a pain in the ass. There ARE manufacturers who make fan controls specifically for multiple fans though. Hunter makes one rated up to 15 amps, specifically for multiple fans, and is a two speed control. Lutron has a couple of choices also specifically for this, including their Maestro series which syncs the fans together so that they spin exactly the same. The Maestro is rated at 4 amps, and it will NOT make the fan hum. Obviously, some of the fans sync with the controller for multiple fan applications (Fanimation/minka aire/etc). A lot of fans are over 1/2 an amp though, which brings them over that fan controls rating.

I haven't seen a Leviton fan control in years any way, the last ones I've seen were the old rotary ones that I replaced because they were bad.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This doesn't necessarily work either, as the fans get out of sync and miss-communicate. Sometimes one will be on, the other off, and you have to reset the circuit. It's a pain in the ass.

I agree, I have seen them go out of sync. One switch for each fan otherwise you are looking for trouble .

bkamp77

Update

Update

I found out that the capacitors in the fans were bad. My guess is that the wrong fan controllers are to blame since all six fans were bad. Also I found a in wall fan control that will run three fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.