3 circuits for a pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
I was brushing up on swimming pools and I seen something that seemed un natural in a video. The installer ran 3 pieces of 12-2 romex to a junction box outside the house 2-120 v circuits and one 240v. From the junction box he was going to run single conductor THHW from that junction box he only decided to run 1 #12 ground and splice 3 for the circuits to it right at the pool pump, convience outlet , and salt water filter. This seemed odd to me but I could not find code that disallows. I guess it should be no problem all wires #12 and unless all 3 dedicated circuits shorted at same time there should be no problem.
Maybe it just looked odd to me cause of the romex transition

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's okay for a single EGC to serve more than one circuit, as long as it's sized for the largest circuit involved.

The odds are that a fault will occur on only one circuit at a time, and will likely be a short*-duration event.

The multiple EGC's from multiple cables being funneled down to one (or a metal conduit) is a non-issue.

* Pun not intended, but I'm claiming it anyway. :sneaky:

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
It's okay for a single EGC to serve more than one circuit, as long as it's sized for the largest circuit involved.

The odds are that a fault will occur on only one circuit at a time, and will likely be a short*-duration event.

The multiple EGC's from multiple cables being funneled down to one (or a metal conduit) is a non-issue.

* Pun not intended, but I'm claiming it anyway. :sneaky:
Thank you i figured it was fine but just the method with 3 pieces of romex to start seemed odd i think that threw me. #12 was the largest conductor same on all 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.