3 phase-200 amp sub panel and an eye wash station

Status
Not open for further replies.

bottlebrnr

I'm a reacher in a school and the state has contracted a company to upgrade the electrical supply to the building. The contractor has placed a 200 amp 3-ph panel less than a foot from my eye wash station/ drinking fountain and just 4 inches from the drain basin.

I can't believe that this is in code. can some one give me help on this?

ron

Re: 3 phase-200 amp sub panel and an eye wash station

Does the eye wash station, drinking fountain or drain basin inhibit access to the panel? With that question in mind, describe the working clearances available to someone to work on the panel. Is there 3' width available starting from either edge or centered across the front of the panel.
Give us a mental picture of the area. What type of room is it? If there is sufficient working clearances available, as described by the electric code, then it may be ok.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

The working space is 30 inches wide in front of the panel, but does not have to be centered. The depth depends on the panel voltage, either 36" or 42". This space extends to 6' 6" above the panel or structural ceiling.

Image a cardboard box pushed up against the wall, 30" wide by 36" deep. Is the eye washstation in side the box? If so its a violation.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

bottlebrnr,
Why do you think this installation is a hazard???
Don

[ July 01, 2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: don_resqcapt19 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.