3 phase and single phase in the same pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flex

Can i run a 3 phase 208v 20 amp ckt with a 120v 20a ckt in the same 3/4 conduit. They are both from the same panel. I dont see why not but I would just like to make sure.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Flex said:
Can i run a 3 phase 208v 20 amp ckt with a 120v 20a ckt in the same 3/4 conduit. They are both from the same panel. I dont see why not but I would just like to make sure.
Sure, what wiring method, EMT, or maybe.....Flex?:grin:

Sorry, couldn't help it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Yes you can run them in the same conduit, you could even run them in the same conduit if they were from different panels and different voltage systems.

As long as you are not mixing specific systems that prohibit them from sharing a raceway with another system such as a article 700 system for example, you can do it.

Roger

Flex

Thanks, i am a 1st time foreman so i keep second guessin myself on dumbstuff. Figured i could get some sense talked into me on the forum.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You will need to derate the conductors, per Table 310.15(B)(2)(a). But if you are using THHN (or other 90C rated conductors), then one 3-phase circuit and one single phase circuit will not cause enough of a derating to require you to use a larger size wire.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Also there is a requirement for identification of each voltage
(C) Ungrounded Conductors. Where the premises wiring system has branch circuits supplied from more than one nominal voltage system, each ungrounded conductor of a branch circuit shall be identified by phase or line and system at all termination, connection, and splice points. The means of identification shall be permitted to be by separate color coding, marking tape, tagging, or other approved means. The method utilized for conductors originating within each branch-circuit panelboard or similar branch-circuit distribution equipment shall be documented in a manner that is readily available or shall be permanently posted at each branch-circuit panelboard or similar branch-circuit distribution equipment.
And you must identify each system neutral per 200.6
(D) Grounded Conductors of Different Systems. Where grounded conductors of different systems are installed in the same raceway, cable, box, auxiliary gutter, or other type of enclosure, each grounded conductor shall be identified by system. Identification that distinguishes each system grounded conductor shall be permitted by one of the following means:
(1) One system grounded conductor shall have an outer covering conforming to 200.6(A) or (B).
(2) The grounded conductor(s) of other systems shall have a different outer covering conforming to 200.6(A) or 200.6(B) or by an outer covering of white or gray with a readily distinguishable colored stripe other than green running along the insulation.
(3) Other and different means of identification as allowed by 200.6(A) or (B) that will distinguish each system grounded conductor. This means of identification shall be permanently posted at each branch-circuit panelboard.

jrannis

Flex said:
Thanks, i am a 1st time foreman so i keep second guessin myself on dumbstuff. Figured i could get some sense talked into me on the forum.

Glad you came in to ask. This might be the best and quickest way to get the most diverse advice in the business

iwire

Staff member
sparky59 said:
if the 120v circuit had a gfic breaker you couldn't run it in the same conduit.

That is generally not true, there is a rule like that for some swimming pool circuits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.