3 Phase breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim123

I have a old motor starter feed from a 3 phase 208v, 70 amp breaker. I would like to use it for 2 single phase 208v,16 amp heaters. Using A/B for one heater and B/C for the other. Will the unbalance of these loads cause the 70 amp to trip. Thanks

JFletcher

I dont think you can use a 70A breaker to protect a 16A heater load unless the wires are sized for 70A. There's also the chance the breaker is not rated for more than one wire per lug (your B phase will have 2 conductors with what you propose).

growler

I dont think you can use a 70A breaker to protect a 16A heater load unless the wires are sized for 70A. There's also the chance the breaker is not rated for more than one wire per lug (your B phase will have 2 conductors with what you propose).

I would probably use the conductors (existing) to set up a little single phase sub panel and feed the heaters from that. The wires are big enough so the third conductor could be remarked as a neutral.

JFletcher

I would probably use the conductors (existing) to set up a little single phase sub panel and feed the heaters from that. The wires are big enough so the third conductor could be remarked as a neutral.

Good idea. I was taking the OP's post (probably too) literally, with no mention of a sub-panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.