3-phase convertible motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farad

Good day!

The 5 HP, 230 V, 60 Hz, 3-phase water pump motor in our office is convertible to 460 V. But the supply voltage in the new building that it'll be used is 400 V only. Is it possible to just convert the motor to 400 V instead of 460 V? Would this have an effect to the performance of the motor? I have another solution, but it would be costly, that is to convert the motor to 460 V and buy a step down transformer to 400 V. The conversion to 460 V is free of charge because it got covered in the rewinding fee. Thank you.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Is your supply voltage 400V 60Hz or 400V 50Hz?

My understanding is that the Philippines uses 60Hz power but 400V is more common with 50Hz supplies.

A 460V 60Hz motor will run quite well at 400V and _50Hz_, but at roughly 5/6 its normal rated speed.

A 460V 60Hz motor operated at 400V and _60Hz_ will have reduced starting torque and starting current, but will likely draw more current at full speed, and may not have enough torque to reach full speed, depending upon the load.

If you are getting a motor rewound it is possible to adjust its optimal voltage to any required value. In other words at the rewinding stage (not simply re-connecting wires to switch between dual voltages, but actually pulling the copper windings out and replacing them) you can adjust the voltage to suit the available supply.

-Jon

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Good day!

The 5 HP, 230 V, 60 Hz, 3-phase water pump motor in our office is convertible to 460 V. But the supply voltage in the new building that it'll be used is 400 V only. Is it possible to just convert the motor to 400 V instead of 460 V? Would this have an effect to the performance of the motor? I have another solution, but it would be costly, that is to convert the motor to 460 V and buy a step down transformer to 400 V. The conversion to 460 V is free of charge because it got covered in the rewinding fee. Thank you.
Or just buy a new motor rated for the voltage and frequency you want it to run at?

kwired

Electron manager
for only 5 HP motor most ways of dealing with the problem cost just as much if not more than getting a different motor rated for the voltage. If it is a special design motor that would be difficult or expensive to find a 400 volt replacement for then maybe you consider other options.

Farad

Is your supply voltage 400V 60Hz or 400V 50Hz?

My understanding is that the Philippines uses 60Hz power but 400V is more common with 50Hz supplies.

A 460V 60Hz motor will run quite well at 400V and _50Hz_, but at roughly 5/6 its normal rated speed.

A 460V 60Hz motor operated at 400V and _60Hz_ will have reduced starting torque and starting current, but will likely draw more current at full speed, and may not have enough torque to reach full speed, depending upon the load.

If you are getting a motor rewound it is possible to adjust its optimal voltage to any required value. In other words at the rewinding stage (not simply re-connecting wires to switch between dual voltages, but actually pulling the copper windings out and replacing them) you can adjust the voltage to suit the available supply.

-Jon

Hi Sir, the supply voltage is 400 V, 60 Hz. So if we're going to just rewind the motor to 400 V even though it's originally designed to 460 V, is it still safe to use?Thank you.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Hi Sir, the supply voltage is 400 V, 60 Hz. So if we're going to just rewind the motor to 400 V even though it's originally designed to 460 V, is it still safe to use?Thank you.
I don't see safety as an issue. Not sure it is the best way to deal with it commercially............

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I don't see safety as an issue. Not sure it is the best way to deal with it commercially............
Yes, I cannot imagine that it is less expensive to rewind a 5HP motor than it is to just buy one with the right specs, or just buy a transformer for it. Or, if you are buying a transformer anyway, just get a 400-240V transformer and don't touch the motor at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.