3 phase motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi All,
I have a 5 hp motor rated at 208-230 3 phase. The supply is 240v 3 phase. The spec sheet says the supply can be + or - 10%. If I remember correctly these motors are rated for 208 or 240. Am I correct? Have a good rest of the day.

Jim

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The voltage rating is a range, not two specific ratings. I.e., 208v - 10% through 230v + 10%

The higher the voltage, the lower the current. The motor will love your 240v.

By the way, motors rated at 230v are designed to expect to receive 240v.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The voltage rating is a range, not two specific ratings. I.e., 208v - 10% through 230v + 10%

The higher the voltage, the lower the current. The motor will love your 240v.

By the way, motors rated at 230v are designed to expect to receive 240v.
To expand a bit:

240V is the national standard for "Distribution Voltage" (ANSI C84.1); meaning what the utility is supposed to supply to the Service Entrance point. Distribution Votlage is required to be +-5% maximum, although some utilities strive for tighter control.

230V is the standard for "Utilization Voltage; meaning what the equipment is designed to use. Utilization Voltage is always lower because it is EXPECTED that there will be a drop in voltage from the SE point to where the equipment (in this case motor) is connected. NEMA requires +-10%, but in the case of 230V, motors are often designed as -15% in order to allow for a 208V source. That is typical for 5HP and under, but is NOT absolute, "your mileage may vary". Always check to be sure when using 208V systems.

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thank you both very much. The information was extremely helpful. Have a great evening.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

retirede

To expand a bit on what Jraef said, a motor designed for 208v supply will normally be nameplated 200v.
When a motor is labeled 208/230, it is basically a 230v design that may tolerate a 208v supply. It would not be unusual for such a motor to be rated at 1.15 service factor at design voltage, but only 1.0SF at 208.

Status
Not open for further replies.