3 phase panel on a single phase service

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Can I connect a 3 phase SQD I-line panel on a single phase service?

I don't think they make 1 phase I-line panels, and the service is 600 amps - so its too large for a NQOD panelboard.

Does it make a difference if the panel has a 3 pole main circuit breaker? I assume I can just leave one pole unconnected, and the breaker will still work just fine.

My plan is to have the 600 A service connect to a I-line panel with a 600 A main breaker. The panel would have (4) 200 Amp branch breakers to supply 4 different panels.

Steve

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Yes, the I-Line panel is rated for use on single-phase supplies, simply by 'skipping' one phase (usually the center B-phase).
The 3-pole main breaker will work just fine.
You can use 3-phase branch breakers, however it is more cost effective to order 2-pole units with an A-C bus connection.

ceb58

Yes, the I-Line panel is rated for use on single-phase supplies, simply by 'skipping' one phase (usually the center B-phase).
The 3-pole main breaker will work just fine.
You can use 3-phase branch breakers, however it is more cost effective to order 2-pole units with an A-C bus connection.
Thats one thing I like about the I-line panels. You can order single phase breakers in the configuration you need.

hbendillo

Just curious, are you doing this because you want to use a Square D panel and they don't make a 600-amp, single-phase distribution type panel? Don't get the need for it to be an I-line panel per se.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
[Q

Does it make a difference if the panel has a 3 pole main circuit breaker? I assume I can just leave one pole unconnected, and the breaker will still work

Do you need a main?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
[Q

Does it make a difference if the panel has a 3 pole main circuit breaker? I assume I can just leave one pole unconnected, and the breaker will still work

Do you need a main?

It makes no difference if the main is 3-pole.

All UL Listed breakers are tested for all 'pole combinations'.
Breaker overload elements do not care about unbalanced currents.

Status
Not open for further replies.