3- Phase Starter Controlling 1-Phase Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

faresos

Hello Everyone,

I'm reviewing a submittal where the contractor has submitted a 3-phase combination full voltage magnetic starter to serve a 120V fan motor. Not sure why they did that or it just simply they submitted the wrong starter, Is there any special wiring they need to do to make it work?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
Just use two of the three phase contacts and set the overload setting to match the motor nameplate amps.

If the contractor bought the starter from a place like Automation Direct, they don't have single phase starters, so the three phase would be cheaper than buying a single phase locally. ;)

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
Check the manufacturer docs. Some that I have seen are ok to use with single phase also but they want you to do a loop with the wiring and use the neutral IIRC.

Edit: I see Frank posted first. I believe AD even wanted the loop wiring that uses all 3 contacts for the OL.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
For most IEC style overload relays you need to make sure current flows through all three elements. So for single phase loads you can use:
option #1 (preferred for L-L loads) - Take the incoming hot wire into L1, come out of T1, loop back up to L2, connect load to T2, take the other incoming wire to L3 and connect the load to T3.
Option #2 (preferred for L-N) - Take the incoming hot wire into L1, come out of T1 and loop over to T2, come out of L2 and loop over to L3, connect load to T3, take the incoming neutral wire directly to the load neutral.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
There is nothing wrong with it other than the potential damage to your bank account. It could be done so much less expensively for a 120V motor circuit...

Status
Not open for further replies.