3 Pole ATS's on 480V older 480V systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I'm in the process of conducting a survey of ATS's at a hospital. The service is 480Y/277V and 4000A. They do have ground fault protection as you would expect but all of the ATS's are 3 pole. We are looking to replace multiple generators and before I tell them they have to replace all of the ATS's, I'm just looking for a sanity check. As far as I know, it's a no brainer that they are going to need 4 pole switches and to bond the neutral to ground at the generator in order for the ground fault to work properly. The reason I wonder if I'm missing something is that, while these switches are old; like 30 years old, what's changed from then to now. Was ground fault not required before a certain time?

ron

Are the feeders downstream of the generator or the ATS 3 wire? Maybe there are only 3 wire loads?

You will have a hard time convincing them of an issue if they haven't had false trips of the GFP in 30 years.

But you are right, there is something that doesn't add up.

mshields

Having boned up on the 3 vs 4 pole issue, I wonder if any of you can tell me this. The ground fault that cannot be sensed in scenarios involving 3 pole transfer switches, is the ground fault at the generator; when on the generator, ground fault travels to the neutral via the service ground and then on the neutral through the solid connection and that GF sensor sees a zero summation of current; What if instead of a main breaker on my generator of 1000A or more, I go with individual breakers each feeding individual ATS's, each one under 1000A and therefore not requiring Ground Fault. The sum of those breaker cannot exceed 125% of the FLA but as long as I obey that rule, I won't need GF correct. Would that solve the problem. Again, I'm not strarting from scrath. I've got a boat load of existing 3 pole transfer switches I'm trying NOT to have to change out.

Status
Not open for further replies.