3 Tesla’s receptacles on one 60 amp 3 pole breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is it cool to feed three separate Tesla receptacles (NEMA 14-50) on one 3 pole 60 amp three phase breaker with 3 x #6’s utilizing phase to phase wiring method. IE #1 receptacle AB. #2 receptacle BC. #3 receptacle AC. It is a 208v system.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Similar question, look here:

retirede

Similar question, look here:

That link is about a single phase circuit, while this one is 3 phase. Not comparable, IMO.

I think what the OP wants to do is fine.

It may be an inconvenience if one wishes to deenergize only one of the units.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That link is about a single phase circuit, while this one is 3 phase. Not comparable, IMO.

I think what the OP wants to do is fine.

It may be an inconvenience if one wishes to deenergize only one of the units.
The code section posted in that thread makes no reference to single or three phase but does state that an individual branch circuit is required for each outlet and shall serve no other outlets. Are you saying that what is proposed by the OP is 3 individual branch circuits?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
A 14-50 receptacle is not allowed on a 60 amp circuit. I agree that 625.40 requires one OCPD per outlet.

So for a #6 Cu 75C (65A) feeder 3-wire 3-phase feeder, you could install a small panel with (3) double pole 40A breakers, each supplying an EVSE set to a continuous current of no more than 30A. Since 30A * 1.25 * sqrt(3) = 65A.

Cheers, Wayne

A 14-50 receptacle is not allowed on a 60 amp circuit. I agree that 625.40 requires one OCPD per outlet.

So for a #6 Cu 75C (65A) feeder 3-wire 3-phase feeder, you could install a small panel with (3) double pole 40A breakers, each supplying an EVSE set to a continuous current of no more than 30A. Since 30A * 1.25 * sqrt(3) = 65A.

Cheers, Wayne
Yeah if you went up to a 70A breaker which is okay on The wire, at least then you could get up to 30 amps continuous per outlet, but still seems low.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Had similar concern but for only 2, was considering using a back feed onto a small manual transfer switch, allowing only one to be used at any time feeding from only one circuit. Not sure if code or listing allows such back feed of the manual transfer switch.

retirede

The code section posted in that thread makes no reference to single or three phase but does state that an individual branch circuit is required for each outlet and shall serve no other outlets. Are you saying that what is proposed by the OP is 3 individual branch circuits?

No - I stand corrected!

Status
Not open for further replies.