3 way dimmer switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I have had some bad luck recently with three way dimmer switches. These are the decora style, fading type switches. I have installed several over the last month and they fail to operate. I switch them out for a conventional three way switch and everything works. I end up having to buy another switch to correct the problem.
Any one else experience any problems with these switches?

LukeMac

Are you using the Remote?

Are you using the Remote?

If they are the 'fading type', then it sounds like to are using the Lutron Maestro. It is essential that you use a Lutron Maestro Dimming Remote at each of the other 3 and 4 way locations.
A normal 3 way switch will work, just not very well, and over time it will fail.
For a 3 way application you will need a MA-600P and a MA-R (Remote).

The same is true with the Leviton brand type fading dimmers.

Other than that, the other comments are true: Lutron is an extremely reliable brand!

fireryan

If they are the 'fading type', then it sounds like to are using the Lutron Maestro. It is essential that you use a Lutron Maestro Dimming Remote at each of the other 3 and 4 way locations.
A normal 3 way switch will work, just not very well, and over time it will fail.
For a 3 way application you will need a MA-600P and a MA-R (Remote).

The same is true with the Leviton brand type fading dimmers.

Other than that, the other comments are true: Lutron is an extremely reliable brand!

Are you saying that you cant use a regular three way when the other three way is a dimmer?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Are you saying that you cant use a regular three way when the other three way is a dimmer?
No, just that certain dimmers require use of specific "slave" units that operate with the "master" dimmer.

Other ones are merely dimmers with a SPDT switch in it, and do operate with standard 3-way switches.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I have had Lutron Meistro fail. I took about 2 years or so. I could not tell if was a shorted lamp or not. I do know that power quality in the area could be an issue.

highvolts582

Did you make sure there are bulbs in the lights Maestros wont work without a load on the switch always gets me when I expect the led on it to work without bulbs in.
You need a slave mind you. There is no short involved? Dimmers hate shorts. Sometimes the heat sync pops out of its little pocket in recessed right from the factory. (or from banging the crap out it with a hammer.) Give travelers a thought they matter in dimmer slave setup.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I have had the maestro main and the remote fail. I replace the master or the slave and the system works again. I once found that the dimmer was at low for well over a month continuous when it failed. The customer left the home and just put the dimmer to low and left.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
slave

slave

Thank you for the response. Closer inspection of the package for the switch shows that it is single pole or "multiple location." The packaging did not specify but I assume that it is not compatible with a simple three way switch for the other switch?

If so, it would have been nice if the packaging would have specified that "this switch will only operate with....."

boxs21

I am using lutron, is alright until today, perhaps is true that electric supply in your area problem
grey.png

Status
Not open for further replies.