3-way dimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

z-men

I have a 4-way switched circuit and want to install a 3-way dimmer.The circuit is fed on one end and has the load on the other end.I put the 3-way dimmer at either end and can't get it to work.Why won't this work through a 4-way switch???

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: 3-way dimmer

I don't think that the presence of a 4-way switch is what is preventing the circuit from working. For my part, I have never come across a 3-way dimmer arrangement. When you say that you can?t get it to work, what do you mean? What did you expect to happen that is not happening? What does happen when you operate the set of three switches (i.e., the two dimmers and the 4-way)?

charlie

Read the instructions on the dimmer. You will find that it will only work on one end (the other end doesn't get a dimmer). When switching the dumb end, the light will come on at the pre-set brilliance. The 4-way matters not. :)

physis

The only thing I think can be added to what the Charlies said is that the 3-way dimmer can't be installed where the 4-way switch is.

Z-men, I'm rather curious what does happen when 2 three way dimmers are installed in one circuit. could you post some details about what you got? Damaged dimmers, nothing at all, disco effects? (just kidding about dicso effects)

phyis you want to know if have 2 dimmer (3way ) hook up it will not run at all or very irregualr so what i do is use electonic dimmer and reroute the 3 way switch connetions i have is the master then the remote ( the remote can go up high as 10 units ! ) and for 4 way switch just elmate the 4 way then wire per manufacter instruction for master and remote but note the feed runs and where it termated so look out for that

merci marc

z-men

I only have one dimmer.I installed the 3-way dimmer at the power end then it goes through a 4-way switch then to a 3-way switch It won't work.I turn it on at the power end then shut it off at the four way It won't come on at the 3-way at the end of the circuit.It acts like an open traveler.I know I can use smart switches but that would cost about $90.00.I can't see why a 4-way switch between a 3-way dimmer and a 3-way switch would have any effect on the switching.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Try bypassing the 4-way switch (i.e. splice the travelers through) then set up the 3-way switch and dimmer. If it still doesn't work make sure you have the travelers connected properly to the switch and dimmer. Assuming you get it to work, reinstall the 4-way switch. If it doesn't work after you reinstall the 4-way then something is wrong at the 4-way location (either miswiring or a defective 4-way switch). If you're using Eagle decorator 4-ways, it's a good chance it's the 4-way switch.

physis

I'm sorry I misinterpreted, it sounded like you had two dimmers.

It's still not a problem associated with using a 4-way configuration.

Your just going to have to troubleshoot your wire runs and connections. That's where your problem's at. Or your devices. :cool:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

I agree that it has to be a wiring problem. Inserting a 4 way would have no bearing on the dimmer operating. If you get this working, you may (I said may) have a problem with the dimming if you have arced the the dimmer in your trouble shooting.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.