3-Way Key Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

km5qd

What would be the purpose of a 3-way Keyed switch at one end of a hall way and a regular 3-way at the other end?

Thats how it is drawed upon the plans.

My thinking is, it wont matter if the 3 way is turned off with the key, when you can goto the other regular 3-way and turn the lights back on.

Am I wrong in my thinking, or does a keyed 3-way somehow work different then a regular one?

km5qd

Ya it doesnt make sense, I looked at P&S and Leviton and they both look like regular 3-ways with a key.

There is alot on this job I never seen. Dimmer on a commercial exhaust fan? Maybe EE was on Meth:smile:

km5qd

I also think its a error by the EE. Im just being sure before I give another CO. COs for me is like a X-mas bonus, and its X-mas year round on this job:)

benaround

I can't believe you guys were all saints when you were kids. If you put the

handle of a 3-way switch 1/2 way between up and down, the lights will go

off and you won't be able to turn them on agian until you flip that switch

either up or down, so a keyed switch near the exits would prevent a person

from having to walk down an unlit hallway. Any bets !!!!!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yeah, I agree I would guess the keyed 3 way is at the end where the kids are and the standard one is up by the administration office or by the teachers door. Just a guess

jrannis

km5qd said:
What would be the purpose of a 3-way Keyed switch at one end of a hall way and a regular 3-way at the other end?

Thats how it is drawed upon the plans.

My thinking is, it wont matter if the 3 way is turned off with the key, when you can goto the other regular 3-way and turn the lights back on.

Am I wrong in my thinking, or does a keyed 3-way somehow work different then a regular one?

Location, location, location

cschmid

hmm no one does school maintenance contracts..it has couple of purposes when janitor is waxing the hallway he can shut the lights off without crossing the wet floor..and the kids can not play with it...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
benaround said:
Any bets !!!!!
"I'll take that bet, and you're gonna regret, 'cause I'm the best that's ever been!" ~ Charlie Daniels

Of course, that only works if the person coming in the next morning also has a key.

"Ahhh, my two favorite Daniels: Jack and Charlie!" ~ Anonymous

cadpoint

Its in a school hall way. Toggle one end and keyed on the other.
You stated your own reason for a keyed application, but I've only seen both ends controlled.
Think of the control issues, and the long spans not required due to nights and holidays. LOL its sudo green :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.