3 way switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

viclibo

Please advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On the 3 way switch side that feeds the light ( not the power side ), I have an extra wire running to the fixture ( a fan with a light kit ). Can I install a second 3 way switch, share the travelers that are feeding the first 3 way switch and use the extra wire to control the fan.

480sparky

So, if I'm reading this right, power is fed to the other end of the 3-way, and you want to parallel another 3-way?

You can, but then you may have problems switching both loads off from the other end. If the 3-ways that feed the light & fan are not wired and set the same, one load will go on while the other load goes off when to flip the front-end 3-way.

480sparky

If my brain is working right, you want to change the top of this diagram to the bottom, right?

Add3-way.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
no this will not work

depends on what you want it to do :) The second (added) 3 way at the "load" end can control the light, the original the fan. The "line" 3 way still controls both. The second is simply breaking one load into two .

("480" posted a drawing as I was posting, but that's what I pictured)

Rewire

you can make it operate but you will be walking between the two switches making sure they are positioned to be on or off.If you turn the fan off at the load 3 way and then turn the light off at the line 3 way it will turn the fan back on.

If you want to have switching capabilities for the fan why not just parallel the switchleg from the 3 way to a single pole switch. The switchleg from the 3 way switch system would control the light, and then it would also become the powerleg for the single pole switch that would control the fan.

gar

Occupation
EE
091115-1448 EST

viclibo:

Without reference to any circuit describe in words what you want your switching circuit to do.

You have two switch locations, A and B.
You have two loads, a light and a fan.

How independently do you want to control the two loads?

Let switch A be where power comes from. From this location A do you independently want to control the on-off state of the two loads? If so then two switches are required at A.

Or at location A do you simply want to turn on or off what is at the destination?

Start with these questions.

You can not design a circuit until you have defined what the circuit is to do.

480sparky

If you want to have switching capabilities for the fan why not just parallel the switchleg from the 3 way to a single pole switch. The switchleg from the 3 way switch system would control the light, and then it would also become the powerleg for the single pole switch that would control the fan.

You mean this?:

Add3-way3.jpg

realolman

If my brain is working right, you want to change the top of this diagram to the bottom, right?

Add3-way.jpg
Maybe I am in brain fart, but this seems to me like it should work. You can control the light from two places and the fan from one. Actually you can turn the fan OFF from two.... maybe if I keep talking I'll figure out why this doesn' t work

Last edited:

480sparky

Maybe I am in brain fart, but this seems to me like it should work. You can control the light from two places and the fan from one.

Look again. The right-hand 3-way will send power through one traveler. If one of the left switches is up, and the other is down, only one load will operate. Flip the right-hand switch, and the loads will flip-flop (ie, what was on will go off, and what was off will turn on).

hardworkingstiff

Maybe I am in brain fart, but this seems to me like it should work. You can control the light from two places and the fan from one. Actually you can turn the fan OFF from two.... maybe if I keep talking I'll figure out why this doesn' t work

The problem come is when the light (or fan) is on and the fan (or light) is off and you flip the 3-way at the feed side of the travelers. The unit that is on will turn off and the unit that is off turns on.

If you want both units to be off, then you have to walk to the switch-leg side of the travelers.

Edit: I type slower than 480

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
One other possibility:

Change both switches to single-poles; 1st switch for light, 2nd switch for fan.

Use one (black) traveler to feed power past 1st switch to 2nd switch for fan.

Use other (red) traveler as switch leg from 1st switch, past 2nd switch, to light.

Status
Not open for further replies.