3 Wire Church Disaster w 100a to 200a meter main combo.

markebenson

Old Church In NC

Service was changed from 100a to 200a using a meter/main combo and the 100a feed from the power company remains!

2x 100 mains feed 2 separate panels.

Panel A has separate ground and neutral bars but the branch circuits have the ground and neutrals connected to the same bar.

Panel B has ground and neutral bonded.

A grounding rod has yet to be located.

My thoughts:
1. Re-terminate panels A and B properly and as non-bonded panels.
2. Verify / add grounding rods as required.
3. Have power company upgrade wiring and inspect connections / transformer at pole.
4. Upon completion test with power quality device.

Attachments

• IMG_20231228_173332139_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231228_173332139_HDR.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20231228_173940202.jpg
    IMG_20231228_173940202.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20231228_175131694_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231228_175131694_HDR.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20231228_180158750.jpg
    IMG_20231228_180158750.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 43
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
You will need to add EGs if the raceways are not appropriate.
The two single pole breakers in the meter main are on the same phase. Overloaded neutral possible, dependent on wire and breaker size.
The POCO may not care that the service size has changed, they have different rules and unless you added significant load, that is low on the list.
The POA is higher than the WH. We would have been required to go up through the roof with a mast.
IMO, a PQ check is a waste of time once you have made all the needed changes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Panel A has separate bars but I believe they are connected together at the bottom. If not they need to be connected together. I see the neutral side is bonded to the case.

You can accomplish this by running a bond wire between the 2 bars.

Buck Parrish

That should have been permitted and properly inspected by city / county officials . NEC 90.4

The power companies wire is fine. It's what we call "in air" The heat will decipate much faster alowing the wire to carry much more ampacity. The poco told me those little wires are rated at 241 amps by their book.

The inside sub needs four conductors. NEC 250.32(B)(1),

You'll need an electrode grounding system at the main panel NEC 250.50

(y)

markebenson

Your location says Fl . Is your crib in NC now? ;) Or do you go back and fourth like some of us do ?
I am based in Florida. I Was in NC for an A/V install and we were having some horrible ground loop issues causing noise from the organ and glitching hdmi signal to the 6 tv monitors thats we are looking into the power side.

markebenson

Panel A has separate bars but I believe they are connected together at the bottom. If not they need to be connected together. I see the neutral side is bonded to the case.

You can accomplish this by running a bond wire between the 2 bars.
why would we not upgrade it to a 4 wire system?

markebenson

You will need to add EGs if the raceways are not appropriate.
The two single pole breakers in the meter main are on the same phase. Overloaded neutral possible, dependent on wire and breaker size.
The POCO may not care that the service size has changed, they have different rules and unless you added significant load, that is low on the list.
The POA is higher than the WH. We would have been required to go up through the roof with a mast.
IMO, a PQ check is a waste of time once you have made all the needed changes.
That should have been permitted and properly inspected by city / county officials . NEC 90.4

The power companies wire is fine. It's what we call "in air" The heat will decipate much faster alowing the wire to carry much more ampacity. The poco told me those little wires are rated at 241 amps by their book.

The inside sub needs four conductors. NEC 250.32(B)(1),

You'll need an electrode grounding system at the main panel NEC 250.50

(y)

markebenson

They found a grounding rod 8" below the soil, bottom is the copper wire that feeds it. Does it look big enough to you? I don't know the guage. ground.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes the wire to the rod is called a grounding electrode conductor. It never has to be larger than #6 and imo it looks like #4 so you are fine.

markebenson

That explains your #4.
I agree per my requirements for the electronics I am going to order a #4 with 2 new rods to be safe. I cannot tell by the photo they sent me if it is a 4 or not it looks smaller to me.

1704105114490.png

Attachments

• 1704105048471.png
    1704105048471.png
    642.4 KB · Views: 5