3-wire feeder between backup generator and house

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We have a customer who is buying a 200A generator to back up his whole house. But after the service has been partially built, coming underground from a pole about 300 feet away to the location on the house where the power company wants the meter, the customer may want to change things.

As initially designed, the service point would be the meter on the house, then I would put a service-rated automatic transfer switch next to the meter on the outside of the house, the generator company would put the generator there next to the house, and I would put the main panel right inside the house. The main panel is already done, and we kept the neutrals and grounds separate within it. Initially there was some talk of using a special meter can that had the transfer switch built in, that the generator company would provide. After some delay, the power company finally said they won't accept that special meter can.

The customer dislikes the idea of having the generator next to the house, plans to eventually build a barn on the property about 75 feet from the power pole but in a different direction from the power pole. So, we started talking about other options, and one that came up would be for him to change the service to 300 or 400 amp built on a rack near the pole, and convert the underground wire that the power company just installed to a feeder instead of the utility company service wires. Put the generator and the transfer switch out there at the pole. Then perhaps his house and his barn could both be backed up, although we did already realize that would require two transfer switches even if it's just one generator, since they'll be separate feeder breakers.

The main sticking points are:
1. The power company doesn't seem to like that idea, they don't want to change what they've already planned to do.
2. There are just 3 wires in the ground, there wouldn't be a way to separate the ground and the neutral conductor.

I know #2 means the installation is against code, since 2008 or whenever you can no longer have a 3-wire feeder to a separate building, but the thing is, in rural areas around here the inspectors still allow it. So I believe the inspector would allow it. I would of course ask the inspector first before we go down this route, and the customer would still have to work things out with the power company, but my question is, how objectionable is it, really, to have a house fed with 3 wires on a rural property? I would re-ground the neutral at the house, and obviously there would be some objectionable ground current, but rural services with a house and a garage are often built that way and they still allow it. I wouldn't build it that way, but I don't want to change an existing 300-foot long underground feed. And, does it really change things at all, to add a backup generator out there? In terms of making it more wrong than it already was?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If there are no metallic paths between the two points, I don't see a safety problem. That's actually how the old code was written for a 3-wire feed.

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That's a good enough answer for me. But I have another related question that I kind of forgot about. Say we had a 400A service out by the pole, 200A feeder to house and 100A feeder to the garage/shop building. I don't know for sure if it would be a 400A main breaker or just separate main disconnects grouped near each other. But either way I believe the question is the same:

If we have a 200A backup generator, and the customer wants to use it to back up both buildings, we need two transfer switches? Or is there such a thing as a 200A transfer switch with some 100A auxiliary contacts?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Another fly in the ointment may be the existing POCO cable may not be of a size or type acceptable ona NEC installation

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Another fly in the ointment may be the existing POCO cable may not be of a size or type acceptable ona NEC installation
I had a customer that wanted to use some wire a POCO lineman had given him, NO GO!
The wire was probably fine but the type wasn't listed for use by the NEC.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Use caution if the only rating on the conductor is USE as USE can only be used for exterior installations. (Some USE is dual rated allowing interior use)

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Three wire from gen, three to buildings.
Does Nebraska have a local amendment to 250.32(B)(1)?
Oregon had an amendment that allowed new feeders to be installed 'per the 2005 code' until I think the 2017 code then it slipped away.

2017 OESC 250.32
(B)(1) Grounded Systems Supplied by a Feeder or Branch Circuit.
Exception No.1: For existing and new installations made in compliance with previous editions the 2005
edition of this Code that permitted such connection, the grounded conductor run with the supply to the
building or structure shall be permitted to serve as the ground-fault return path if all of the following
requirements continue to be met:

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is there a local code amendment that would allow it?
I don't think Tulsa County (outside of city or town limits) has local code amendments, besides the ones that are applicable statewide. Nevertheless, they may have previously allowed 3-wire feeders to buildings under article 547, the agricultural buildings article, even on properties that are more of house/garage instead of a real farm. However, I believe article 547 changed to require equipment ground wires in agricultural building feeders in the 2020 code edition. Tulsa County has now adopted the 2020 version, so this is a case where I would want to get something in writing from the AHJ before installing it this way.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Thats interesting I had never thought of article 547 as granting permission for in essence 3 wire 'feeders' (really just moving the goal post for service conductors).
So since 547 defines a 'Site-Isolating Device' as a basically a disconnect, not the service disconnect, there there is no reason that can't also be a OCPD like a meter / main, then the 3-wire to each building are 'service conductors'.

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I haven't made much progress with this issue, and I told the homeowner I'd get back to him with ideas this morning.

Situation right now: the 200A main panel is already mounted and partially wired inside, the power company requires a meter on the house but they've stubbed up for it several feet away from panel, and Tulsa County has adopted the 2020 NEC so they require a disconnect on the outside of the house. The customer may not install the generator right away, but eventually wants it, but NOT too near the house.

I'm assuming I can run all generator wires inside a single 3" conduit to the generator location; 2 hot wires out, 2 hot wires back, a neutral wire, and a ground wire. Assuming the customer really does want a generator and he wants to minimize things mounted on the outside of the house. These are the options I see:
  1. Install a service-rated transfer switch (which can serve as the outdoor service disconnect) and meter on the outside of the house right now.
  2. Install 24x24 NEMA 3R junction box outside the house opposite the panel inside. Put the meter can and an outdoor 200A service disconnect near the 24x24 box, and plan on coming out of it with 3" PVC for later generator connection.
  3. Install a similarly big junction box INSIDE the house next to the panel, stub out a 3" conduit for later generator connection, and then the only things that have to go on the outside of the house will be the meter and service disconnect, and 3" pipe to future generator/transfer switch location.
  4. Anything I missed or didn't consider?
With option 1, only a single set of large wires would be required from the generator location, right? I guess that one makes the most sense, because the transfer switch is going to be a little smaller than the junction box otherwise required.