30 A contactor on 40A circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Can you put a 30A lighting contactor on a 40A circuit if the load is less than 30 amps? This is for an outdoor lighting circuit.

Steve

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The load on the circuit is 27 amps, and since it is a lighting load, it is continuous, if that makes a difference.

nakulak

1.25 x 27 = 33.75 amps. Seems to me the required rating of the contactor should be at least 33.75 ? (sorry I don't know the code section)

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The contactor will have data saying it must be protected by an OCPD not greater than its maximum rating. So from that standpoint, you are using it in a manner beyond its intended use. Change the breaker to 30A or change the contactor to 40A.

stew

seems to me that the breaker probably would hold at 33.75 amps anyway. A breaker change is not the solution in my opinion you are still overloading a 30 amp device or devices both the breaker and the contactor. get a contactor rated 40 amps or higher for the correct solution or maybe you can shift some loads to get what you need and not overload this system.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the replies. I'm just reviewing a set of drawings for code compliance, so the 30A contactor on a 40A breaker was another designers idea.

I just wanted to make sure it was really an issue before I told the designer he had to revise the design.

I think your all right that 110.3 B and the instructions are about as close as I'm going to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.