30 Day Load Studies and Demand Factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott.KU

I am working on a Thesis Project with a major part being 30-day load studies. Two articles in the NEC 2008 are of interest to me, but I am a little unsure if my application is correct and would appreciate some feedback.

More specifically I am looking at Full Load Amp control cabinet ratings.

Article 220.87 has an exception to use average power demand over a 15-minutes period recorded for a minimum of 30-days.

For determining existing load it makes more sense to record the maximum amps on each of the 3-phases, and use that maximum as the load.

Article 430.26 about demand factor has a FPN stating that demand factors determined in the design of new facilities can often be validated against actual historical experience from similar installations.
Here it also makes sense to log the max current draw on each of the three phases over a 30-day period, and use that max for determining a demand factor for future similar installations. Does that seem correct or am I looking at this incorrectly?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What you are failing to include in your premise is the fact that maximum amperes on each "line" include surge current, such as the starting current of motors. The NEC makes allowances which permit such surges to occur without tripping the overcurrent device, but the load calculations for these loads pretty much side-step the surge current values and is more representitive of an average of samples over a period of time.

Welcome to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.