300.25 and sharing conduit

viaPipeline

Occupation
Electrician
Stairwell has a circuit for lighting and another circuit for a receptacle. We've penetrated EMT into the stairwell to deliver power to these.

A utility room next to the stairwell has lighting and receptacles on the same circuits. So we've penetrated out of the stairwell into this room to feed these.

However, this utility room also has a water heater on another circuit. Originally we were planning on using this already installed conduit to bring these water heater conductors to the utility room.

Foreman is now saying that the inspector said that because there is nothing in the stairwell that makes use of the circuit that the water heater is on, we need to pipe around the stairwell to feed the water heater.

There would have been no splices at all if we were to use the already-installed stairwell conduit as a path for the water heater.

Is this a correct interpretation of the code? You can't have any wires whatsoever in the stairwell if they aren't feeding something inside of it? Can someone explain the logic of this to me?

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It sounds like some building code that requires a certain width. I believe there is an exception for the handrail but nothing else. Seems trivial but I am not sure of the intent other than subject to damage.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree with Dennis however I will add that Fire Sprinkler Risers are also allowed in stairwells but other than that I think foreign items are prohibited, the same as elevator rooms and shafts

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think 300.25, which comes from the building code, is clear that that additional circuit for the water heater cannot be in the conduit that passes through the exit enclosure (stair tower).

Note that 300.25 only applies where the stair tower is required to have a fire resistance rating, and not to all stair towers in general.

The "enhanced content" in NFPA LinK says:
NFPA 101®, Life Safety Code®, requires certain stairways, those defined as “exit enclosures,” to be separated from the building by fire-rated walls or other means. A critical function of these stairways is to provide safe passage out of the building in the event of an emergency. It is the intent of the requirements in NFPA 101 to limit the materials contained within an exit enclosure to only those needed to serve the intended function of the exit enclosure.

viaPipeline

Occupation
Electrician
I think 300.25, which comes from the building code, is clear that that additional circuit for the water heater cannot be in the conduit that passes through the exit enclosure (stair tower).

Note that 300.25 only applies where the stair tower is required to have a fire resistance rating, and not to all stair towers in general.

The "enhanced content" in NFPA LinK says:
That is easier to understand. But it does seem silly, especially given in the context of this particular project. These stairwell circuits also feed receptacles and lights in two areas outside of the stairwell. The wiring method (conduit) is already installed for the appropriate reason. And these 3 circuits will still be sharing the same raceway prior to entering the stairwell. I just don't see any logically possible hazards.

But whatever, I'll throw up a jBox and pipe around the dumb stairwell for this one circuit.