300.5(G) Raceway Seals

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So for decades we've used duct seal to seal service conduits where they entered from the outside to the inside. I've looked at several brands of duct seal and I didn't find any that specifically mention being used around the conductors within the raceway. Is duct seal actually approved for this use? If not what are guys using to seal these raceways?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think most everyone is using duct seal, even though it is not specifically marked for that use. The defined term "identified" is pretty broad and the very fact that duct seal has been and is used for this purpose makes it comply with the broad definition..."Recognizable as suitable for the specific purpose". Nothing in the definition specifies who must "identify" the product as suitable for the purpose.

However the only product I am aware of that is specifically identified by the manufacturer for use around the conductors is Polywater's FST...a product I have never used.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I had a CEU seminar yesterday and the guy mentioned using duct seal and how no one really knows if it's still acceptable or not.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
I had a CEU seminar yesterday and the guy mentioned using duct seal and how no one really knows if it's still acceptable or not.
SHHHHHH!!! Don't give manufacturers any ideas! They'll get something written into the next code cycle that will cost only $74 dollars an ounce. "Arc Fault Putty" or some such rubbish.

SceneryDriver

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
But like all of the others, it very carefully avoids saying you can use it to seal around conductors. The sealant must be identified for sealing around the conductors per the code section.
Exactly. I researched 4 or 5 different brands of duct seal and not one said that it could be used in contact with conductors. One brand even said that it was not for outdoor use.