300.5, protected from physical damage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

If I have a riser coming up out of ground and into an enclosure obviously the conductors need to be protected from physical damage.
Does that automatically mean Sch 80 PVC versus 40?
Where in the code does it call out for Sch 80?
Thanks

paulengr

It’s the type, not the thickness. It never specifies anything other than RNC (PVC) and minimum thickness is schedule 40. 80 is going beyond Code.

You can use RNC (PVC), RMC, IMC, and a few others. What you need to do is keep reading in chapter 3. It gives a laundry list of raceways and cable types and where they are allowed and where they are not for each type.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Just because a PVC raceway comes out of the ground is it not automatically subject to physical damage, that would be determined by several factors one of them being the location. Physical damage is not defined by the NEC and is highly subjective, IMO a PVC pipe emerging against the building in a flower bed isn't subject to physical damage but one emerging in a driveway is. Since you've stated that in your location it is 352.10(F) is the code reference for PVC raceways.

352.10(F) Exposed. PVC conduit shall be permitted for exposed work. PVC conduit used exposed in areas of physical damage
shall be identified for the use.
Informational Note: PVC Conduit, Type Schedule 80, is identified for areas of physical damage.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If I have a riser coming up out of ground and into an enclosure obviously the conductors need to be protected from physical damage.
Does that automatically mean Sch 80 PVC versus 40?
Where in the code does it call out for Sch 80?
Thanks

Some areas expect schedule 80 where pvc comes up from underground. We have not run into that issue around here unless the conduit came up and there was no building near it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As shown above.. subjective
we are one of Dennis' "some areas" in that 90% of the time we require Sch 80.
Here, you need to make the case "no physical damage" (weed-eaters, lawnmowers, vehicles, etc.)

Rdcowart

Occupation
Electrical license Holder
I done six Bank meter base in Cary ,Nc a few months back. The old schedule 40 coming out of the ground was damaged so the inspector made us put back schedule 80 with an expansion coupling When we replaced it. If there is a chance that it can be damaged it has to be schedule 80.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It’s the type, not the thickness. It never specifies anything other than RNC (PVC) and minimum thickness is schedule 40. 80 is going beyond Code.

You can use RNC (PVC), RMC, IMC, and a few others. What you need to do is keep reading in chapter 3. It gives a laundry list of raceways and cable types and where they are allowed and where they are not for each type.
They clarified this issue for PVC used for the protection of grounding electrode conductors in the 2020 code. 250.64(B)(2) & (3) were revised to say that if the GEC needs protection and you are using RNC for that protection, that it must be schedule 80. However, as far as I know that is the ony place that change was made. I expect there will be PIs for the 2023 code to make that change global.

Also where you are installing RNC, in areas subject to physical damage, the code requires that the RNC be "identified for the use". Only schedule 80 PVC is identified for use in areas subject to physical damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.