Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a parking lot that i have to trench in order to run my conduit to a location where a new commercial sign is to be installed . now my question is in art. 300.5 of the nec for minimum cover req. i know its 24" minimum for under streets ,highways roads , driveways and parking lots but what i would like to know if i pour 2'' or more concrete on top of my conduit would that change my minimum cover for column 2, or 3 to a new depth of 6'' or 12'' instead of a 24'' with the concrete! im not sure with that application if you can change you minimum depth . i could use a little advice ..thanks ?

Doug S.

The way I read it, it's 24".
I would LOVE to be shown I was wrong.
I think it's assumed that most streets, highways, roads, alleys, driveways, and parking lots are paved in some form a fashion...

I agree with Doug, there is nothing in the notes or the table that would allow less than 24" of cover. You might talk to te inspector but that's what the code does say.

iwire

Staff member
Keep in mind that is 24" of cover not a 24" deep trench. If you running 2" conduit the trench must be 26" or greater deep. We don't trench but I generally direct the person that is trenching for us we need a 30" deep trench.

Status
Not open for further replies.