30A CB for 120V lighting circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

Existing building has (5) 400W MH @120V exterior lights, somehow they wired to 20A/1P CB, in 208Y/120V panel.

We want to replace above 20A CB in existing panel by new 30A CB, change wires to 30A and re-feed existing lights.

Haven't used 30A CB to feed 120V lights before so not sure if this allows? Thank you.

kwired

Electron manager
Existing building has (5) 400W MH @120V exterior lights, somehow they wired to 20A/1P CB, in 208Y/120V panel.

We want to replace above 20A CB in existing panel by new 30A CB, change wires to 30A and re-feed existing lights.

Haven't used 30A CB to feed 120V lights before so not sure if this allows? Thank you.

It can be done. I would be more likely to change the taps to 208 volts (if that is possible) and supply with a 208 volt circuit in most instances.

mjmike

"Thank you. BTW, I found 210.23 (B) allows it."

I disagree for 2 reasons. First reason, a fixed light fixture I doubt would be considered a lampholder. I believe it would be classified as a luminaire per the definition of luminaire. Next, if that is not good enough. Refer to 210.21A commentary and what a heavy duty lampholder is considered.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
"Thank you. BTW, I found 210.23 (B) allows it."

I disagree for 2 reasons. First reason, a fixed light fixture I doubt would be considered a lampholder. I believe it would be classified as a luminaire per the definition of luminaire. Next, if that is not good enough. Refer to 210.21A commentary and what a heavy duty lampholder is considered.

I had to look it up, but I did find that 'admedium' meant an E29 Edison Screw base.

So he has to make sure the lampholders in the 450 watt fixtures are rated at 750* watts or more, then he's good, correct? *Or 660 for an E29.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Here is a technical question.....

Are the lampholders connected to the branch circuit? I agree that the luminaire is, but the lampholder in a MH fixture is isolated from the branch circuit through the ballast, is it not?

Edit...

I read read, and I guess it doesn't matter.

Nevermind.....

:)

Last edited:

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
So he has to make sure the lampholders in the 450 watt fixtures are rated at 750* watts or more, then he's good, correct? *Or 660 for an E29.

I'd say this is correct. And since the 400W MH lampholder is most likely a mogul base, and I've never see a mogul base with a rating less than 750W, he's probably OK. Of course, there's always a chance things aren't as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.