310.11 violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

Yesterday I was wireing in a UPS at a old tower site we are up grading. I had picked up a spool of #2 from our shop and got it set up. Pulled a run off and cut it and was installing it in the conduit when something just didn't seem right. I got to looking at the wire and no where on the wire was it marked with size, type or any thing. It was violating 310.11 A 1-4 and 310.11 B. I looked on the spool and the only thing I found was a tag. A.W.I Douglas It went on to say it was #2 awg VW-1 MTW or THHN OR THWN-2 600v. It stated it was suitable as internal wireing not to exceed 600v and temp not exceeding 105c in air, 80c in oil,90c in air and 60c in moisture or in oil. The date was 9-24-08.
The only thing I could find out about this wire on google was it was made by American Insulated Wire from Douglas,Ga. It went on to say that they had been bought by Southwire in Feb. 2010. Dose any one see a REAL problem with using this wire? I matched it to another piece of #2 and there is no difference. Its in conduit in a dry location.

Volta

I returned a spool of # 8 or 6 once years ago because it was not marked, though the spool was. If your wire is what the spool says, then no big problem, but nobody looking at it in the future will have that spool to verify the type or size.

Of course the way they print so poorly these days, the labeling will rub off after a pull, so it ends up hardly mattering

wireguru

I have seen MTW in the past where the wire is not marked, the spool comes with a UL tag with all the information.

The article that you stated is very clear that conductors are to be labeled as listed in this article which would include (1) Max. rated voltage.
(2) Proper type letter.
(3) Man. name.
(4) Size.
(5) etc....

Jim W in Tampa

is no real problem as far as safety or working. You do have major problem if inspector notices it and cares. If its already installed take chance, if not then don't use. Liability does go with the new company.

Status
Not open for further replies.