310.15(b)(6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

newinspector1

On modular homes if mobile home feeder is used instead of ser cable does the rules of 310.15 (B)(6) still apply? Can you run other circuits to the main panel and not downsize the breaker?

I couls be wrong but I think "mobile home feeder" is USE-2 OR RHH OR RHW-2 all of which fall under
Table 310.15(B)(7) Conductor Types and Sizes for
120/240-Volt, 3-Wire, Single-Phase Dwelling Services and
Feeders. Conductor Types RHH, RHW, RHW-2, THHN,
THHW, THW, THW-2, THWN, THWN-2, XHHW,
XHHW-2, SE, USE, USE-2
Conductor (AWG or kcmil)

Not sure about the second part of your question

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
On modular homes if mobile home feeder is used instead of ser cable does the rules of 310.15 (B)(6) still apply? Can you run other circuits to the main panel and not downsize the breaker?

I did not read all of your post. My mistake.

I understand your concern. Is it similar to what Buck said?

I would approve it using 550.33(B).

newinspector1

Mike that is my question because I don't think that it is supplying the entire load. There is no pole this is a modular home with a service on the house. The electrician ran mobile home feeder and said that got him out of having to downsize his breaker.

Jim W in Tampa

Then this is SERVICE, i missed that in the OP.
If you now add loads you might need to redo the load calculation. Are we talking about a serious add on like work shop or just the AC and a pump

newinspector1

Jim, it is just the a/c but I had the understanding that it could have no additional loads. Most people around here are just going straight to the inside panel now.

Jim W in Tampa

Jim, it is just the a/c but I had the understanding that it could have no additional loads. Most people around here are just going straight to the inside panel now.

Basically your right as this was designed for the loads it has. Very unlikely that they did not allow for an AC but simply could not know the location at the factory. If it is a 200 amp main breaker and feed is sized correctly i would just let it pass.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We really need to know what a mobile home feeder is. IMO, if there is pipe from the outside panel to the interior panel and the wire is rated for use in a home, not all USE cable is allowed inside, then I would say that 4/0 aluminum is okay as long as the calculated load is not more than 180 amps.

Jim W in Tampa

We really need to know what a mobile home feeder is. IMO, if there is pipe from the outside panel to the interior panel and the wire is rated for use in a home, not all USE cable is allowed inside, then I would say that 4/0 aluminum is okay as long as the calculated load is not more than 180 amps.

He does not have an outside panel

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Mobile home feeder is typically a 3-wire with ground AL Type USE-2/RHH/RHW-2 cable, often with a smaller conductor for the neutral.

http://www.cerrowire.com/default.aspx?id=38

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Mike that is my question because I don't think that it is supplying the entire load. There is no pole this is a modular home with a service on the house. The electrician ran mobile home feeder and said that got him out of having to downsize his breaker.

With limited knowledge and not being there he may be correct.

Assume an outside disconnect.

Feeder, from the disconnect, goes to the homes 'main' panel.

AC 'feed' out of the disconnect.

I would pass this installation. Why?

The "entire load", condition, is not stated as a requirement in 550.

Status
Not open for further replies.