310.15 (B) (7)....Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Overhead service on a yard pole with a 320A meter socket, double lugged load side, 2ea 200A loadcenters, one feeder the house from loadcenter one, one feeder to an out building from loadcenter two. 310.15 (B) (7) would not apply for the service entrance conductors but would for the feeders, correct?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
310.15(B)(7) (2011 code) relates only to service entrance or to feeders that carry the entire load of the dwelling. In your case I would say you must use 310.15(B)(16) for both not (B)(7). Why because the article states that 310.15(B)(7) applies to feeders if the supply the entire load of the dwelling and their associated structures. Neither feeder supplies the entire load.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
310.15(B)(7) (2011 code) relates only to service entrance or to feeders that carry the entire load of the dwelling. In your case I would say you must use 310.15(B)(16) for both not (B)(7). Why because the article states that 310.15(B)(7) applies to feeders if the supply the entire load of the dwelling and their associated structures. Neither feeder supplies the entire load.

But Dennis......the feeder from loadcenter one does feed the entire load of the dwelling. The feeder from loadcenter two carries the entire load of the out building.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
But Dennis......the feeder from loadcenter one does feed the entire load of the dwelling. The feeder from loadcenter two carries the entire load of the out building.

I thought about that and I am sure it is arguable but the section states that it must carry the load of the entire dwelling and the associated buildings-- all loads that are part or associated with the dwelling. I would plead my case to the AHJ.

Also the load to the other structure must definitely use 310.15(B)(16)

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Ok......let me change the scenario a bit. I have a duplex, overhead service, each unit has a 100A main. Can I use 2/0 copper for the riser to the service point and #2 AL SEU to each main from the load side of the meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.