314.16 (B) (2) Clamp Fill 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading at http://ecmweb.com/nec/code-basics/electric_box_fill_calculations/ about 1/4 of the way down the page it says on
2. Cable clamp volume One or more internal cable clamps count as a single conductor volume, based on the largest conductor that enters the box. Cable connectors that have their clamping mechanism outside the box aren't counted.
Am I to gather from this that it is counted when the cable clamp or mc/romex type connector is facing inwards (inside the box)? I have never seen this and it really doesn't make sense due to an article I believe stating that fittings or their lock-rings are not counted.

Here is another question that may seem stupid but I need to know because I'm taking the Clark County Journeyman Exam this coming Friday: Are Wire-nuts counted in derating or any calculation for resistance or fill? I was on a website http://electriciansexam.com/ and it gave a so called short test that I got to over question 100 and it was still going and some of the questions I know I was correct on stated was wrong. It was asking questions on conduit fill where I used Table 4 and 5 of Chapter 9 for different sized conductors I took the area2 added them up and used the percentage from Table 1 and then chose the proper conduit in Table 4 yet it was wrong. One of the questions on that website asked about a 'wire stretcher' so I realized that it was probably bs. Does anyone know anything about that? That is really messed up and I think the guy who made that website is a scam artist.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
You may have never seen a box with internal clamps unless you have done some work in an old building. I haven't used one in a long time, and haven't bought one in even longer.

Back when you could fill up your tank for less than a days pay metal boxes had a clamps built into the box. Those are internal clamps and count toward box fill. The clamps that one can carry around in ones pocket are external clamps.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
The cable clamps on the inside of NM boxes are also the ones needed to be counted.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe we had a thread on this not to long ago. The manufacturers stated that the calculation in the box is there and the deductions for fill must be applied using the NEC- they do not account for the clamp, so we must deduct it in our calculations just like any other box.

Status
Not open for further replies.