314.16 vs 110.3(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I have a couple hundred high hats, and the wiring compartments state maximum 4 #12 conductors. The junction box itself measures 2? x 3? x 1? = 13 cubes. 5 #12s = 12.5 cubes. Nothing else in this wiring compartment except the 3 # 18 fixture wires. In some situations, I have a couple dozen high hats on one switch light. So I need to install a large junction box and take one two wire MC to each fixture???

I believe the manufacturers are not counting the grounding conductors in their box fill. Also, many of these luminaries require 12 inches of slack cable so that the ballast can be pulled down through the aperture for service, violation of 330.30? This means also I can't use EMT to get only 4 conductors.

These high hats are manufactured by USAI. I'm putting two 12/2's into these.:mad: Anybody run into this before?

kwired

Electron manager
I have a couple hundred high hats, and the wiring compartments state maximum 4 #12 conductors. The junction box itself measures 2? x 3? x 1? = 13 cubes. 5 #12s = 12.5 cubes. Nothing else in this wiring compartment except the 3 # 18 fixture wires. In some situations, I have a couple dozen high hats on one switch light. So I need to install a large junction box and take one two wire MC to each fixture???

I believe the manufacturers are not counting the grounding conductors in their box fill. Also, many of these luminaries require 12 inches of slack cable so that the ballast can be pulled down through the aperture for service, violation of 330.30? This means also I can't use EMT to get only 4 conductors.

These high hats are manufactured by USAI. I'm putting two 12/2's into these.:mad: Anybody run into this before?
5 # 12's is 11.25 cu in not 12.5. add two #18 and you are still over though.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
appears their calculations are correct, does it not:

2-1/2 x 3-1/2 x 1-/12 = 13.1 cu in
1 3 #18 @ 1.5 - 4.5
8.6 remainer / 2.25 = 3.8 or 4 #12 s

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Crap, I wasn't counting the fixture wires but I see in this case I must.

Exception: An equipment grounding conductor or conductors or not over four fixture wires smaller than 14 AWG, or both, shall be permitted to be omitted from the calculations where they enter a box from a domed luminaire or similar canopy and terminate within that box.

Status
Not open for further replies.