314-23(f)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sticko

I need help understanding ex.2 (a) and (b). I turn down an inspection because contractor was using EMT from a J-box to support another J-box to terminate and mount an exit light. The top box with the brach circuit was supported from the deck with an allthread and EMT conduit was supported with-in 36 inches. An EMT sleeve was attached to the blank plate from this box and was attached to the back of the fixture box. EMT compression fittings were used. Anywhoo, the contractor said he would replace the EMT with IMC or RMC. Ex#2 needs all conditions to be met. But I do not understand the verbage of (a) and (b). A little help?

Volta

I need help understanding ex.2 (a) and (b). I turn down an inspection because contractor was using EMT from a J-box to support another J-box to terminate and mount an exit light. The top box with the brach circuit was supported from the deck with an allthread and EMT conduit was supported with-in 36 inches. An EMT sleeve was attached to the blank plate from this box and was attached to the back of the fixture box. EMT compression fittings were used. Anywhoo, the contractor said he would replace the EMT with IMC or RMC. Ex#2 needs all conditions to be met. But I do not understand the verbage of (a) and (b). A little help?

Looks like the EMT is an automatic violation (not threaded).

If changed to RMC or IMC, the box supported by the conduit must have threaded hubs 314.23(F) Ex2.(f). So a bell box, fs box, or 'C' fitting. Or even an 'E' fitting, if they could find one.

If the drop pipe is longer than 18 inches, the top connection shall be flexible. The top connection needs a set-screw or similar or the exit sign needs to be at least 8' above the floor. 314.23(H)(2).

I also think that support from a cover is not allowed unless the method is flexible, but I forget the Section. Maybe I'm thinking of 314.22.

Status
Not open for further replies.