augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In the '17 Code there was a requirement that when a spare conductor was provided for the future use of a ceiling fan, a ceiling fan box was required.
In the '23 Code there are options for boxes for ceiling fans. Is there any requirement that one of those two options be met if the spare conductor is provided ??

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The spare conductor part was removed because most all ceiling fans come with remote controls that eliminate the need for a spare conductor when a ceiling fan is installed. The 2023 code requires provisions for supporting a fan for all ceiling boxes in habitable rooms where a ceiling fan could be installed. It is a very subjective rule and some inspection authorities are requiring provisions for supporting a ceiling fan for all ceiling boxes three feet or more from a wall in a habitable room.
312.27(C)...
Outlet boxes mounted in the ceilings of habitable rooms of dwelling occupancies in a location acceptable for the installation of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan shall comply with one of the following:
  • (1)Listed for the sole support of ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans
  • (2)Installed so as to allow direct access through the box to structural framing capable of supporting a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan without removing the box

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Do you read that as mandating a box meeting the requirements of (1) or (2) be in each habitable room OR just if a box in a habitable room is elected to be usable for a fan it must meet those requirements.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Each habitable room.
When working on old work around here I see metal octagon boxes mounted on the bottom of a flat structural 2X4 framing that is more than capable of supporting a ceiling-suspended fan. The old octo box allows direct access to that framing without removing the box to me that meets item 2.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Do you read that as mandating a box meeting the requirements of (1) or (2) be in each habitable room OR just if a box in a habitable room is elected to be usable for a fan it must meet those requirements.
It is not requiring a ceiling box to be installed as there are other ways to provide the required lighting outlets. If you do install a ceiling box, then you must comply with (1) or (2).

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
With all the wafer light craze I do about 10% of the 4/0 nail on's I used to. and whatever they are doing to the new engineered I joists makes them a pain to nail a box onto, so I use spreaders or on occasion the old flat 2X4 and shoot tec screws thru the back of the box.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
312.27(C)...
Outlet boxes mounted in the ceilings of habitable rooms of dwelling occupancies in a location acceptable for the installation of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan shall comply with one of the following:

This one is easy. I would tell the inspector that the centrally-located ceiling box is the only one acceptable for the installation of a ceiling fan. The customer won't accept a fan in any other location.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This one is easy. I would tell the inspector that the centrally-located ceiling box is the only one acceptable for the installation of a ceiling fan. The customer won't accept a fan in any other location.
If the first draft language stands that would be 100% correct. Right not it is a very subjective rule and totally up the inspection authority.
Ceiling outlet boxes mounted in a location identified by the installer, designer, or building owner for the installation of a ceiling‐suspended (paddle) fan or mounted in the ceilings of living and sleeping areas in dwelling units in a location typical for the installation of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan shall comply with one of the following: ...
With that language, the rule might as well not even be in the code, as there is no real requirement.