Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan_618

I will be proposing a change to 320.30(C) to mirror the language of 330.30(C).

The change in the 2005 from the 2002 makes MC cable "secured and supported" where run horizontaly through bored holes, however 320.30 now considers AC cable to be "supported" and not "secured" under similiar conditions. This would require that a person put some sort of "staple, cable tie, strap, hanger or similiar fitting" every 4.5 feet in an effort to comply with 320.30(A). This creates an unneeded burdon on the installer.

I really have no technical substantiation, other than I think panel 7 simply missed it.

Your thoughts?

BTW: I know the chairman of panel 7 quite well, and I fired off an E-mail to him regarding this. I'll let all of you know what his response is.

[ February 28, 2005, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: ryan_618 ]

bphgravity

Re: 320.30

I was asking the what the intent was behind this a few weeks ago. I too would like to hear why one method is treated different than the other considering how similar the wiring methods are.

I support the change.

pierre

Ryan
I would contact the NFPA, as this might be an "Errata" type issue. I would think by the other changes made in other Chapter 3 locations, this may be a typo.
Did you notice how there are fewer Errata this cycle for 1st printing than in the past?

charlie

Pierre, it could be that they just haven't all been caught yet. I found one that is in the process of being formalized. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.