320 amp service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakerboy

I am installing a 320 amp service for the first time. UG to a 320 meter pan to two 200 amp panels.

Can I double up the conductors to the two panels on the one meter pan lug?

hardworkingstiff

Re: 320 amp service

Bakerboy said:

I assume you mean two wires under one screw.

If they are listed for multiple conductors, yes. The more common (and preferred by me) approach is to have a lug with multiple connections. Each conductor is attached to the same lug, but with separate screws.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
In my milbank 320/400A meter socket, the lugs are stamped with a wire range and a second stamped row has (2) and a lesser wire range. I had to dig on the Milbank site to see what other restrictions there were. I believe the wires must both be the same size and material. Two copper 2/0's would most likely be OK as would two aluminum 4/0's.

I was also unsure of the torque specs, as what's in the meter label is kind of incomplete. I couldn't find anything additional for that.

On the same subject?when you have a watt-hour meter that is rated for 320/400 do the two main breakers have to add to 320 amps or 400 amps?

iwire

Staff member
Johnny watt.

A class 320 meter and socket is rated 320 amps continuous and 400 amps non-continuous.

Two 200 amp main breaker panels are also rated 320 amps continuous and 400 amps non-continuous.

A perfect match. 8)

james wuebker

Re: 320 amp service

Bakerboy said:
I am installing a 320 amp service for the first time. UG to a 320 meter pan to two 200 amp panels.

Have you seen this meter yet? The last mibank I installed like this had 2 lugs already for each phase in the meter box.
Jim

Bakerboy

This is a Siemens - Landis & Gyr meter socket. I sent them an email and here is there response.

"The 60162 lugs that come on the 48105-83BU will handle parallel wires #1/0 - 250 MCM. Although they are a single hole lug they are approved for "stacking" 2 wires." From M.Dutton - Siemens

Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.