320 meter/main recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

I need a 320 meter/main (type 3R) that can have 2 - 200 amp breakers. It also needs to have some extra spaces that can feed a couple of outbuildings.

The POCO's requirements is for 5- jaws (5th jaw in 9 o'clock position) and lever by-pass.

I've previously used one that made by Siemens. It works fine, I just wanted to compare price to Eaton or Square D.

I can't seem to find a similar product on their website.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
Thanks!

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I need a 320 meter/main (type 3R) that can have 2 - 200 amp breakers. It also needs to have some extra spaces that can feed a couple of outbuildings.

The POCO's requirements is for 5- jaws (5th jaw in 9 o'clock position) and lever by-pass.

I've previously used one that made by Siemens. It works fine, I just wanted to compare price to Eaton or Square D.

I can't seem to find a similar product on their website.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
Thanks!

Try talking to your local supplier of each. They are a wealth of information.

eta: I just noted your location. Suppliers might be further apart.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Like Tom said, you really need to talk to your suppliers.

I've went through the catalogs before looking for similar, but there are so many variations, it's easy to go off the rails and miss one spec and order the wrong catalog number. A supply house will usually know what you're looking for.

Over here, our shops preference would be Siemens.

sw_ross

Try talking to your local supplier of each. They are a wealth of information.

eta: I just noted your location. Suppliers might be further apart.

Yeah, my main Eaton dealer is 45 minutes away. I stopped by to ask about what I was interested in and the person at the counter didn't have enough knowledge of products to help out.

They said they could get me what I needed if I could give them a cat.#...
I looked on the website and wasn't able to find what I needed...

Just thought I'd ask if anyone knew off the top of their head of a meter/main that fit my needs.

The frustrating thing about my experience with my supply houses is that I don't always know exactly what I want/need (product wise), so I go in to pick their brains and I usually walk out shaking my head.

I end up ordering more product through Amazon than the supply house! The supply house is always more expensive.

kwired

Electron manager
Yeah, my main Eaton dealer is 45 minutes away. I stopped by to ask about what I was interested in and the person at the counter didn't have enough knowledge of products to help out.

Just thought I'd ask if anyone knew off the top of their head of a meter/main that fit my needs.

The frustrating thing about my experience with my supply houses is that I don't always know exactly what I want/need (product wise), so I go in to pick their brains and I usually walk out shaking my head.

I end up ordering more product through Amazon than the supply house! The supply house is always more expensive.
You need to talk to the inside salesman or other expert they may have for certain product lines. Average counter guy doesn't always know much and sometimes having a catalog number is best way to get what you want with those guys.

If place isn't an exclusive dealer for one of: Siemens, GE, Eaton, Schnieder, they may not really have any experts with this kind of gear, if they are exclusive dealer for more than one of those, they are likely part of a pretty large supply house company, and should have expert, maybe even multiple experts representing each product line. Or you have a branch that generally only specializes in one brand as their major stocked product line.

Don't forget to look into Milbank and Midwest for possible products to fill your need. Even a Eaton distributor may still have some of those items.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

I expect the SH to be more expensive on some things. I expect to pay for the help they give me. Kwire is right. Ask for someone higher up on the food chain. If they can't answer, get a phone # of someone who can. They have factory reps that visit periodically.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My larger local suppliers have an "inside sales" department where the guys know the equipment, and you bypass the counter guys completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.