320 Milbank with Two Service Feeds--One for House & One for Separate Pole Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickochet

320 Milbank with Two Service Feeds--One for House & One for Separate Pole Building

I have been researching this issue for some time, and have consistently received conflicting information. I have a Milbank 320 (U1797-O-K3L-K2L) meter base with with double load side lugs. One set of load lugs are now being used with 4/0 copper running to my home's 200 amp breaker box located in the basement.

I recently built a separate pole building and I installed a 200 amp breaker box in the new building. I buried 3" conduit between the 320 meter base and the pole building, planning to pull three 4/0 copper cables, connecting them to the other load lugs. I wasn't planning on using any exterior service disconnects, only the breaker box main breakers. Do you see any issue with my plan? Served by AEP.

Thanks in advance.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Such an install is allowed in this area. With the conductors to the new building remaining outside the existing structure the local inspectors see no difference from them coming straight form the transformer.

Rickochet

Such an install is allowed in this area. With the conductors to the new building remaining outside the existing structure the local inspectors see no difference from them coming straight form the transformer.

Thanks for the confirmation. After searching some more I was able to find the information below, pointing out Exception No. 3....

Part IV. Service-Entrance Conductors

[FONT=&quot]230.40 Number of Service-Entrance Conductor Sets. Each service drop or lateral must supply only one set of service-entrance conductors.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Exception No. 1: Buildings with more than one occupancy can have one set of service-entrance conductors for each service of different characteristics [230.2(D)] run to each occupancy.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Exception No. 2: One set of service-entrance conductors can supply two to six service disconnecting means as permitted in 230.71(A).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Exception No. 3: A single-family dwelling unit with a separate structure can have one set of service- entrance conductors run to each structure from a single service drop or lateral.[/FONT]

Rickochet

Also to confirm, I am good running the three 4/0 CU conductors only in the conduit and installing the bare #4 CU to my ground rods at the new building. I don't need to a connect ground from the meter base with the new breaker box, correct?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Also to confirm, I am good running the three 4/0 CU conductors only in the conduit and installing the bare #4 CU to my ground rods at the new building. I don't need to a connect ground from the meter base with the new breaker box, correct?
correct. It is a service. If there was OCP ahead then it would be a feeder and a EGC would be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.