334.12 violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I recent wired 2 new partitioned offices in a store that was converted from a hair salon to office space in a small strip mall. The original store was and wired by a local licensed electrician, inspected and was passed (not sure exactly how long ago but at least 10 years). The wiring above the suspended ceiling was done with NM cable. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, there isn't a piece of BX or MC in the entire strip mall, including the offices on the 2nd floor.

I was cited by the EI for installing NM cable above the ceiling (and rightfully so). I made the assumption that it was (or at least at one time was) Code compliant. All the wiring inside the partitioned walls was wired with NM cable and that was acceptable. That said, the EI offered several solutions to correcting the wiring problem :
  1. Replace all ceiling tiles with fire-rated tiles
  2. Where wiring enters the partitioned wall from the areas above the ceiling, sleeve that wiring in seal-tight
  3. Install a metal JB on top of the metal headers where the wiring enters the partition wall, install the NM cables there and splice in AC or MC cable to the points of origin or light fixtures.
I chose option #3. That was a $1K mistake (if you consider my time - materials were under $200). Now, here's my gripe. Irrespective of what was done before me, making the changes I did will not add any more protection to the building or office space. There is still 1000's of feet of NM cable, not only above this ceiling but in the entire building. Aside from "because that's what the Code says" as the Building Code official told me, is there an underlying reason for this code section ? Is it because NM cable is subject to damage ? Is it because if there's a fire the cable will give off poisonous gases ? If anyone has information or an opinion please post it here.

Thanks in advance. :cool:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
There is a whole lot of that around here, Up until recently most of the commercial buildings were built like houses, because there wasn’t any commercial builders around, and we finally got inspections. A few years back, one of them burned to the ground, no firewalls between suites. Started in one, spread to the others. Building was probably less than 30 years old. Unless the building is fire rated, don’t know why the prohibition of romex above a suspended ceiling.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I worked on an old Zayers store in either Birmingham, or Montgomery Alabama about 40 years ago, they had conduit up to a wireway in the warehouse area, then romex out of the back strung throughout the store above the suspended ceiling. 277 and 120. (I know, romex is rated for 600 volt) store was probably built in the 50’s or 60’s.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm trying to research how far back this Code section was added or ammended. I thought at one time NM cable was allowed above suspended ceilings in commercial but I could be wrong.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'm trying to research how far back this Code section was added or ammended. I thought at one time NM cable was allowed above suspended ceilings in commercial but I could be wrong.
It was allowed above suspended ceilings up until the three story rule went out. When they did away with the three story limit they had to come up with something to make problems for using it in commercial applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.