348.12(1) Enforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Would it be an abuse of authority to never permit FMC in wet locations under the basis that it is not possible to prevent the entry of liquid in outdoor wet locations?

There are other more suitable methods (LFMC, LFNMC, etc..) and this is Florida. We have 6 dry days a year.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: 348.12(1) Enforcement

Bryan, liquid will be found in 99% of all out door raceways, so if the propper type conductors are used as stated in 348.12(1) I think you would be wrong in tagging the installation.

With that said, I agree that there are better ways and would like to see this allowance removed from the article.

Roger

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by bphgravity:
Would it be an abuse of authority to never permit FMC in wet locations under the basis that it is not possible to prevent the entry of liquid in outdoor wet locations?
The NEC does not prohibit water getting into the FMC, only the equipment that it connects to.

348.12 Uses Not Permitted.
FMC shall not be used in the following:

(1)In wet locations unless the conductors are approved for the specific conditions and the installation is such that liquid is not likely to enter raceways or enclosures to which the conduit is connected
If you left the bottom of a disconnect and came up into the bottom of a HVAC unit that would be a way to prevent water getting in.

All that aside I agree with Roger that this is a poor piece of code.

The last thing I will be running outside if FMC.

Bob

pierre

I think Roger has stated the intention of this very well. I would add the .12(1) if read correctly actually is permission to do just what you are asking - and like Bob and Roger I also think even though it is permitted, that it is not such a great installation practice.

macmikeman

I always wondered if this is in the code because some manufacturer's of equipment like refrigeration compressors have only partial coverings on their equipment that is normally installed outdoors. If I peer through the fan cage opening of my ac compressors outside my house I can see fmc between the contactor box and the fan motor. Any wind blown rain water could easily contact the flex in this situation. Some refer box compressor units are shipped with an even less of a rain covering and have fmc or ac cables run relatively exposed.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I have never quite understood why people worry about their conductors getting wet. As long as they have sutiable insulation, it won't hurt them one bit.

And as another poster pointed out, if you look inside a lot of equipment intended for outdoor use there are a lot of things exposed to the weather, including conductors.

The important thing is not that the stuff never gets splashed, but that the water has some place to go and does not sit there. Same thing with conductors.

IMO, it is a far worse practice to install any conduit, especially outside, in a way that does not allow for drainage.

allenwayne

If you left the bottom of a disconnect and came up into the bottom of a HVAC unit that would be a way to prevent water getting in.
WOW now we have to be plumbers and add P traps :D You actually found this on a job ?????
I tell our guys to use LFNMC on everything,no rusting no cut hands and FMC has that oil on it that I hate gets on everything :D

Status
Not open for further replies.