352.44 Expansion Couplings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Silva

I've seen many posts about 352.44, and apologize upfront if this is redundant.

Recently had an inspector require a 2" PVC expansion coupling between a meter socket and a PVC 45 elbow. The length of straight PVC run between the meter socket and PVC 45 elbow is 7+/- feet. Needless to say I installed the coupling so I could move forward to other things.

That said, and to my question, does the NEC provide guidance for determining adjustment factor for the sun? Specifically, I am trying to compensate for the radiant temperature rise - impact of direct or indirect sun-light. The required 352.44 calculation was done, and it doesn't seem like this particular installation will exceed the 1/4" expansion threshold. I used the temperature data I have available, which i pulled from ASHRE and local weather history.

The only thing I can see that would skew my number is the impact of direct or indirect sun-light. For what it is worth, the installation was performed at +/- 70 degrees. We typically see highs around 90 & lows in the low teens. On rare occasion may see temps reach close to 100 degrees with lows dipping into the single digits.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Code provides no guidance on the application of 352.44 let alone how to compensate for radiation heating above ambient.

Was any of the PVC run going underground?

Bob Silva

Code provides no guidance on the application of 352.44 let alone how to compensate for radiation heating above ambient.

Was any of the PVC run going underground?

No, the run was on the north east side of cape style home shaded by trees... Looking back on the weather data for the past 10 years, feels like a rather rigid enforcement - better safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.