380VAC motor with 415VAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadgage

Probably.
In the absence or more detailed information, motors will normally accept from 90% up to 110% of the nominal voltage on the nameplate.
110% of 380 is of course 418 volts which is slightly more than 415

It might be a problem if the 415 volt supply is on the high side though.

A 380 volt motor on 415 volts actual should be fine.

A 380 volt motor on a nominal 415 volt supply, that is in fact 450 volts actual could well be a problem.

Besoeker

Can you run a 380VAC motor with 415VAC lline?

Thanks,
I'm with Broadgage on this.
Probably.
Both voltages are generally from 50Hz regions so frequency ought not to be a problem.
In UK the standard voltage was 415/240 and, for much of continental Europe, it was 380/220.
In order to achieve "harmonisation" there was a compromise at 400/230.
In practice, not a lot actually changed. Tolerances were relaxed a bit to accommodate the differences. A fudge.
So, depending on where you are, your supply might actually be nominally 400V 3ph 50Hz. And that would be OK.

Maybe a bit more detail on your location and application would elicit more specific advice.

QES

Thanks everyone.
I'm designing the electrical system for a wastewater treatment plant located in Vietnam.

Besoeker

Thanks everyone.
I'm designing the electrical system for a wastewater treatment plant located in Vietnam.

My charts give me 220/127V for Vietnam. Is the 415V you mention being provided by a dedicated transformer?

Last edited:

AdrianWint

Having installed and commissioned equipment in Hanoi I can confirm that 400V 3phase 50Hz is available, certainly in the larger cities.

However, voltage regulation isn't something that they worry about as much as we do..... anything between about 360 & 415ish will do- just be grateful that the power is ON!

Oh, and another thing from experience...... just because the phase sequence was L1, L2, L3 yesterday doesnt mean it will be today!!!

Adrian

Status
Not open for further replies.