Status
Not open for further replies.

jwelectric

Could, would some one give me the securing and supporting requirements for surface nonmetallic raceways. Article 388. I can not find it any where. There is no 388.30. :confused:
Thank You

physis

Re: 388

I guess you don't have to secure or support it JW. :D

Maybe there's something in 300? :confused:

jwelectric

In 386 surface metal raceways .30 says to follow the manufacturer?s instructions.

I am preparing a quiz that students must pass and this is one of my questions.

How do you think they going to do?

Can I make up my own answer?
:)

physis

Why yes, yes it would.

Who wants to admit that they think is good code writing? :D

[ August 01, 2005, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

110.3 of course, but it seesm to be a cheesie answer anyway.
300.11 just do it somehow
300.18 says you can install the conductors before the raceway, so wire it first and worry about support later.

physis

The obvious fact that JW now has, another, trick question to put into his tests is "good news". :D

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by jwelectric:
Could, would some one give me the securing and supporting requirements for surface nonmetallic raceways. Article 388. I can not find it any where. There is no 388.30. :)
Is your opinion that Section 386.30 applies to Article 388?

I don't think so.

386.1 Scope.
This article covers the use, installation, and construction specifications for surface metal raceways and associated fittings.
388.1 Scope.
This article covers the use, installation, and construction specifications for surface nonmetallic raceways and associated fittings.

[ August 01, 2005, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

jwelectric

So it is your opinion that Section 386.30 applies to Article 388?

I don't think so.
I agree that is why I ask the question,

I can?t find 288.30 in either the ?02 or ?05 cycles. Can?t find anything in article 352 of the ?99 cycle either.

There must be an answer to the question of how to install.

Am I at liberty to make up my own rule?

I do believe that Mr. Nix got the answer correct. ;)

physis

Oh, yeah. Wireways. :(

Not raceways.

At least the people who are smarter than me wont get side stepped by the terminology.
laughing-smiley-014.gif

redfish

ARTICLE 388 Surface Nonmetallic Raceways

A surface nonmetallic raceway is a common method of adding a raceway when exposed conduit systems are not esthetically acceptable and concealing the raceway is not economically feasible. Surface nonmetallic raceway is less expensive than comparable surface metallic raceway and more easily installed, but may not be as impact resistant. However, it does not dent, deform, or loose paint like the metallic versions, so it may retain its appearance longer.

When surface nonmetallic raceways are used for both signaling and power, the raceways must have separate compartments, one compartment is for power and lighting, and anther compartment is available for control, signaling, or communications wiring. The revised text clarifies that identification of the separate compartments can be accomplished by methods other than color.
Just a question, is this wiremold? :)

jwelectric

After further thought implanted by Bob I do believe that the only choice we have is 110,3 (B).

I shall stop by the supply house and order one stalk to see what the manufacture says.
:)

luke warmwater

I am preparing a quiz that students must pass and this is one of my questions.

How do you think they going to do?
JW,
If I remember correctly, this forum is required reading of your students?

If so, I think some of them might do pretty good. :D

jwelectric

Ty

I am preparing to start a level I electrical inspector?s class. I am going through the code book highlighting those things that might pertain to a level one inspector. I have to give them an eighty question test that they must pass with in two hours.

Now I am a contractor so what kind of question do you think I look for? :)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I am preparing to start a level I electrical inspector?s class. I am going through the code book highlighting those things that might pertain to a level one inspector. I have to give them an eighty question test that they must pass with in two hours.

I do make my test so hard that if they are able to pass me they don?t have any trouble passing the state. I will probably have 25 load calculation for dwelling units, 10 stores, 15 box fill, and 29 motors, oh yea and this one here in this post.
Wow. Dixie's gonna be flooded with some cranky inspectors--I'd sure be cranky if forced to complete all those calcs in two hours! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.