3ph 460V/150A Circuit Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1976 vintage circuit breaker that arced to ground vis the operator that contacts the bottom side of the toggle/handle. This occurred when the steel rotary door mounted operator was rotated to turn the breaker on. It appears the toggle/lever was cracked. I didn't realize the middle phase was located in the toggle/lever. Is this common in CB construction? Its a molded plastic frame. Maybe even bake-lite... Thanks for any feedback

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
1976 it was not likely bakelite, it would be FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic). But yes, the center pole of the switch mechanism is directly under the toggle mechanism. There is a shield in most designs that separates the toggle mechanism form the switch body and arc chutes, but under extreme fault conditions, that shield can get blown through.

You can see that shield in this view, it's the black arc-shaped device right under the toggle handle.
molded-case-circuit-breaker-components.gif

I hope you didn't re-use that breaker.

No sir. Trying to determine if it is possible the the breaker was tripped (without knowing it) and the rotary handle was still being turned to the point the bottom side of the toggle was stressed/cracked. From there it was then realized the breaker was tripped, rotated to the reset position and ten rotated to on where it arced.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
One of my best friends is an EE who does professional-witness work.

About two years ago, he had a case where a store employee got shocked when operating a lighting-panel main breaker with a screwdriver, because the handle had been broken for a while.

He was also surprised to find that an energized part of the center pole projected into the molded handle.

Was it or is it typical for the center pole of the switch mechanism is directly under the toggle mechanism? Even today's designs? This breaker does have an arc shaped shield. The arc occurred where the toggle was cracked about about half way up on the bottom side where the mechanism that pushes the toggle to ON contacts the toggle (if that makes since) Thank you for your time and expertise.

paulengr

I have a 1976 vintage circuit breaker that arced to ground vis the operator that contacts the bottom side of the toggle/handle. This occurred when the steel rotary door mounted operator was rotated to turn the breaker on. It appears the toggle/lever was cracked. I didn't realize the middle phase was located in the toggle/lever. Is this common in CB construction? Its a molded plastic frame. Maybe even bake-lite... Thanks for any feedback

It’s not Bakelite. That’s a composite of resin and paper used before the 1960s. Operators of some kind strapped to a molded case circuit breaker are used in modern designs too.

The thing though is breakers are consumables. They have a limited life. Yours either failed already or this was the last cycle. The failure you are describing is pretty common when the contacts burn up and metal vapor either ejects out the vents if it has some or out the back if it doesn’t, often leading to a ground fault and tripping the upstream breaker.

Every molded case breaker, even one that old, refers to NEMA AB4. You can download this standard for free and I’d encourage you to do it.

It tells you to visually inspect your breakers once a year and after every trip. It takes about a minute to do it properly and NEMA AB4 has nice instructions and color pictures telling you exactly what to look for. That’s why you should download it.

Story time. This happened around 2000-2002, before most people ever heard of 70E. A local electrician in coastal NC worked at a large mine. A 3 phase 10 HP sump pump tripped the breaker (actually an MCP). The operator reset it “several times” then called the electrician. The electrician did the same thing a couple times before finally meggering the motor, which was dead shorted. So they changed out the motor. When the electrician went to remove his lock and close the breaker to put it back in service, the breaker exploded. Since it was on a 2500 kVA transformer with very slow upstream protection, it sent him off to the burn unit at Duke University Hospital. There is still a huge burn mark about 10 feet wide all over one wall and ceiling where it happened.

Because he didn’t open the door and take 60 seconds to look it over before putting it back in service, never mind the stress he and the operator put it through hitting it with near AIC rated current multiple times in a row.

In the same facility as we did a big upgrade we changed out about a half dozen 1970s vintage breakers based on AB4 inspections. I tested them just because of politics and they all failed standard breaker testing. One blew in half. One had one phase work, another welded shut, and a third burned open, on the same breaker! AB4 works and will save you headaches.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Was it or is it typical for the center pole of the switch mechanism is directly under the toggle mechanism? Even today's designs? This breaker does have an arc shaped shield. The arc occurred where the toggle was cracked about about half way up on the bottom side where the mechanism that pushes the toggle to ON contacts the toggle (if that makes since) Thank you for your time and expertise.
It was typical in the past for there to be an energized metal part under the toggle for a number of different breakers. I have taken a number of them apart and the metal part is under the toggle handle. It the toggle is broke, there is an energized part you can touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.