3Phase UPS Load test with Single Phase Load bank. is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinod

We have a 3 phase 4 wire UPS system at site. we need to do a full load test with a external load bank. Unfortunately 3 phase load bank is not available in our market. But single phase load bank is available. Can I conduct a load test with a single phase load bank? if yes How? please explain.

UPS details are :
30 KVA
3 phase 4 wire
240V AC 50Hz.:?

maghazadeh

We have a 3 phase 4 wire UPS system at site. we need to do a full load test with a external load bank. Unfortunately 3 phase load bank is not available in our market. But single phase load bank is available. Can I conduct a load test with a single phase load bank? if yes How? please explain.

UPS details are :
30 KVA
3 phase 4 wire
240V AC 50Hz.
I don't think single phase load bank is proper way, but what you can do is to get 3 (single phase) load banks and connect them in Y configuration. Connect neutral to center point of all 3 load banks and other 3 leads to your A, B, C phases. make sure total KVA/KW rating of the load banks does not exceeds the UPS rating (30 KVA).

You mentioned 240V. Is it phase to phase or phase to ground. for oversee's voltages I am used to seeing 220/380V. 220V phase to ground, and 380V phase to phase. Could you commend on that.

maghazadeh

UPS details are :
30 KVA
3 phase 4 wire
240V AC 50Hz.

I don't think single phase load bank is proper way, but what you can do is to get 3 (single phase) load banks and connect them in Y configuration. Connect neutral to center point of all 3 load banks and other 3 leads to your A, B, C phases. make sure total KVA/KW rating of the load banks does not exceeds the UPS rating (30 KVA).

You mentioned 240V. Is it phase to phase or phase to ground. for oversee's voltages I am used to seeing 220/380V. 220V phase to ground, and 380V phase to phase. Could you commend on that.

If 240V is your phase to ground, then 240V x 1.73 = 415V is phase to phase. is this correct?

Besoeker

If 240V is your phase to ground, then 240V x 1.73 = 415V is phase to phase. is this correct?

A couple or thee points in no particular order.
I agree with your suggestion of three star connected single phase load banks.
I also agree with you comment about not exceeding the kVA/kW rating. My experience with UPS systems is that they tend to be rated in kVA at maybe 0.8 or 0.7 p.f. I would expect the load banks vinod has access to are resistive and thus the kW rating of the UPS would be the limiting factor.
The 240V 50Hz inclines me to the view that it is 415V line to line and 240V to neutral (which usually grounded at the supply) . It is this way in UK and ex-colonial territories are often the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.